Motorcycle lift for gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Levitz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was given this as a birthday gift :)!!!! Supper excited. But I then looked under the bike and can't figure out how I will use it. What are your guys thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210808-215434_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-215434_Samsung Internet.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
I've not seen it used on Gen 2 Vmax but I imagine it's much the same as any other bike. You go in from the right side since it sits higher and get the two bars under the frame as close to the center of gravity as you can. You may have to use blocks of wood to make sure you get the frame and not the engine casing when you jack it up.

But then you just jack it right up. It's no different than a car on the lifts at the garage. Just get the rails under the frame and up you go.

I've not seen it used on Gen 2 Vmax but I imagine it's much the same as any other bike. You go in from the right side since it sits higher and get the two bars under the frame as close to the center of gravity as you can. You may have to use blocks of wood to make sure you get the frame and not the engine casing when you jack it up.

But then you just jack it right up. It's no different than a car on the lifts at the garage. Just get the rails under the frame and up you go.
Thank you for the reply. ...
Under the gen 2 there is no frame under the bike, just oil pan and exhaust.

Thank you for the reply. ...
Under the gen 2 there is no frame under the bike, just oil pan and exhaust.
Ouch.

In that case I'd get a rear wheel / swingarm jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorc...ocphy=9010767&hvtargid=pla-570213881999&psc=1
Or if you're just wanting to lift the entire bike off the ground to be level with you, I'd get the ride on jack from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-...LJSELM04rk-TQXAPV4zDU9pW8BouBMARoCySEQAvD_BwE

I was given this as a birthday gift :)!!!! Supper excited. But I then looked under the bike and can't figure out how I will use it. What are your guys thoughts.
I have a similar one from Harbor Freight that I use on my Raider but it has a frame. Your correct that our Vmax's do not have frame rails below the motor therefore I have not even tried it on the Vmax. I am also looking for something compact, I really do not want one that you drive up on.

Like BadMax said, those unfortunately aren't designed for the Gen 2's configuration. I used that same lift extensively on my last 3 bikes but they were all Harleys. I personally wouldn't raise a VMax by supporting it on the pipes. You're essentially placing the weight of the bike on the exhaust flanges.

Below is more info on a center stand for jacking up the 2nd Gen.

Here is the link to the post:
Vertical Stand for Gen II

K and L used to make a MC450 Adapter Stand for Gen 2 if you are using a scissor type plate lift

Picture of the MC 450 Adapter stand:

1628544646451.png
1628544698647.png

K&L SUPPLY COMPANY - MC450 PLATE FOR 09 VMAX

I was looking into it as I have that same red lift in the picture. I ended up using the lift forward of the engine and a scissor jack aft of the engine.

Last edited:
would it be possible to screw some strategically placed and sized blocks of wood to a small sheet of plywood that fits nicely to the bottom of the engine area, then put that on your new lift

would it be possible to screw some strategically placed and sized blocks of wood to a small sheet of plywood that fits nicely to the bottom of the engine area, then put that on your new lift
This is more or less exactly what I do with my '99. I use jack stands on the engine cards up front since I don't have a center stand. Then, use a small block of 2x4 near the swing arm pivot to get the ass end up.

I've also used a lift stand using the stock headers. Never had an issue.

Mark

It's still odd though - no frame underneath. Makes me wonder how the bike is rigid at all. I'm sure the engineers know what they're doing, but I'm honestly wondering if any thought at all was given to needing to simply jack the bike up to work on it during the design phase.

It's still odd though - no frame underneath. Makes me wonder how the bike is rigid at all. I'm sure the engineers know what they're doing, but I'm honestly wondering if any thought at all was given to needing to simply jack the bike up to work on it during the design phase.
No doubt. That's probably why people put better fork springs, solid motor mounds, swing arm bracing and frame bracing on.

Mark

I use that exact lift, directly beneath the oil pan. No issues with the current or previous gen 2. Only word of caution I'd give is to put something beneath the lift's frame rails to keep it from slowly sinking...the hydraulic jack on mine was loosing pressure &found my previous bike on it's side after leaving it for a short while.

Last edited:
I use that exact lift, directly beneath the oil pan. No issues with the current or previous gen 2. Only word of caution I'd give is to put something beneath the lift's frame rails to keep it from slowly sinking...the hydraulic jack on mine was loosing pressure &found my previous bike on it's side after leaving it for a short while.

Ouch!

The lift dint have those "notch- kabobs" that lock the jack at like..3 or so specific intervals, so it CAN'T sink lower?

The one posted by OP (which he already seems to have, as a Bday gift, regardless of how many other different lifts people suggest. ;) ) Looks as though it DOES have those 3 welded on "stops" to ..stop the jack from going lower.
I have a very similar looking one.

In fact my bike (Gen 1) has been on it for about 5 weeks and is still standing (knock wood). As mentioned, Its Gen 1, BUT I can only get 1 of the rails to lift my max.. But, It works well enough.

T$

Ouch!

The lift dint have those "notch- kabobs" that lock the jack at like..3 or so specific intervals, so it CAN'T sink lower?

It does...but you have to get the bike up pretty high before it engages & I never really thought about the joker leaking before. Yeah, hindsight is a real b**** :(

🤣
It does...but you have to get the bike up pretty high before it engages & I never really thought about the joker leaking before. Yeah, hindsight is a real b**** :(

Speaking of "Leaking Jokers":

l-intro-1614195077.jpg

LOL.

I hear ya. I had to raise mine up Kinda high (again, gen 1) , BUT, I was doin head bearings too, so I needed to drop forks out through bottom.

🍻

T$

Latest posts

Back