Motorcycle/Moose mishap in New York

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know this guy but the incident happened about 8 miles from my house. There's just no end to the potential threats out there.

dan

An upstate man is recovering after his motorcycle ran into a moose on a section of the Thruway in eastern New York. State police said 39-year-old Kim King of Buffalo was traveling east on the Berkshire spur of Interstate 90 early Friday morning when he hit a young 600-pound bull moose in the Columbia County town of Chatham, near the Massachusetts line 23 miles southeast of Albany. Troopers said King was able to lay down his motorcycle so he didn't hit the moose at full speed.
Police said King was taken by helicopter to Albany Medical Center, where he was listed in critical but stable condition with multiple fractures and internal injuries. The moose suffered two broken legs and was put down by troopers.

Danny... I'll happily trade your moose(s) for our dumbasses in cages...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...tle=DOT+pushing+safety+plan+for+motorcyclists+

It's nice to be number one in most cases, but not this one.... Admittedly cars are not always the reasons...lots are due to rider inexperience as well.. Lots of bikes on the road, and almost year 'round riding weather compared to most other places, are also major contributing factors.

There's a thread re: 'close calls'.... I have way too many to report....almost one or more per ride...

I did lose a bro' and his OL out in OR years ago, when a deer jumped off a bank onto his HD doing about 50mph... Nobody including the deer survived...

Ride safe y'all ... and stay AWARE!

Philthy

There is no way in hell you "lay down" your motorcycle. What happened is he hit the front brakes too hard and it "went down" on it's side. Just another reason to practice hard braking both front and rear on a regular basis. Then when the time comes for a panic stop you won't be on your ass.

Sean

The problem with hitting a full grown moose is that the top of body of these beasts are at eye level in my full size GMC p/u. When you hit a moose broadside you break it's legs and the body comes through the windshield! I could not imagine hitting one on a bike as part of the bike would go under the body and you would take the most of the hit. I could see in a panic situation you might decide to try to lay it down. I would hate to hit one, piss it off and it stomps and gores the rest of your life out of you! I have heard that a bull moose can be one of the most dangerous animals in north america.
Sean is right though, there is no replacing being able to do a proper panic stop. Practicing full on both brakes, with smoking tires and brakes is good experiance for when the real thing comes along.

He probably didnt have any time to really react other than hitting the breaks... Probably slammed the rear and it slid out from under him, which is a good thing it happend that way (if that's how it happend). Or he locked the front and dropped it, eithr way if he hit it upright he probably wouldn't be listed in any condition he would probably be dead.

Back