motorcycle oils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advertisement for Amsoil, Ibrahim. Don't believe everything you read.

Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
Good advertisement for Amsoil, Ibrahim. Don't believe everything you read.

If it was just false advertising, the other oil companies would have sued them. I am using amsoil and very happy with it though it is expensive,
But then I want the best for my bike to get the most service from it not looking forward to rebuild the engine after 40K.
________
Fifth-generation Ford Taurus

Last edited:
Many forums have similar debates about oil. Of course you can use whatever you want but I don't believe that using dino oil is necessarily a bad thing. For about half of its 99k+ miles, I used petroleum based 10W-40 car oil in my '85 Max, and it still runs great and uses maybe a cup of oil between changes. I started using bike oil when it dawned on me that needing to replace a clutch pack every year might be oil related. Although I have mellowed out a touch the last several years, for its first 50K miles I thrashed the crap out it, and it just keeps going, and going.........

So use synthetic oil if it makes you feel better, but you won't have to rebuild it after 40k miles if you don't.

For the life of me I can't figure why a lot of people are so worried what kind, brand and viscosity to run in their machine. Probably most worriers have had little experience with internal combustion engines and NEED to believe all the trash talk going around. If the factory deemed it necessary, wouldn't they specify a certain type or brand to use? It's in THEIR interest to have their product perform and have longevity. Using a $2 oil versus a $5 oil, means you're throwing away $3 per quart every time you change oil. At 100,000 miles, there won't be any distinguishable difference in wear......guarantied!!! Wear is a greater factor in how you handle the bike. Stop and go traffic and getting on it a lot is much harder on all the internals. You won't find any free lunches out there and spending more than is necessary only GIVES somebody else a free lunch on your tab. Had a Honda CB750 for 30 years and a Toyota truck for 25 with over 200,000 miles on it and they still are running strong today. Nobody knows better than the factory, period. Especially NOT all those back yard mechanics calling themselves "techies" on the Yahoo lists and proclaiming to know better than the engineers. But hey, it's a free country and believing in the tooth fairy isn't against the law. My advice would be "Don't worry, be happy". :)

Last edited:
That being said, I live in Georgia, it gats nice and hot here. I do have to deal with some stop & go traffic, but outside of that, I can run at 70mph+ everyday to work.

What would be the proper grade oil to use? Daily temps have been in the 80's, asphault temps have been over 100. 10-40 seems to thin, I'm due for an oil change. Would like to put something in there thats going to handle the heat.

You can use 20W-50 if you want, I've run it all year before.

Excellent, thats what I was hoping to use. Makes life easier when all but one of the car/bikes use the same thing.

Some months ago there was an independent study done on all the more popular oils and the conclusion was that there is NO significant difference from one brand to another. It was pointed out on the Yahoo site and many were amazed at the outcome since all had their FAVORITE oil that they swore by. All say they have never had any problem with what they use. Have NEVER heard any statements where a certain oil was a problem and proof was submitted. The sooner we nip this in the butt on this forum, the less we're likely to argue over oils like the Yahooers do. Time to deal with the facts for a change.

I've never really been partial to a brand. Cheap has always worked well for me. well, maybe not the rock bottom cheap oil, I'm always weary of the bottom of the barrel products.

Nope, i'm partial to weight/rating. It gets nastly hot in the summer where I live, so I'm a fan of 20-50. Only my 01' Jetta gets anything thinner and thats cause the factory says nothing that thick should be in there.

mikemax04 said:
The sooner we nip this in the butt on this forum, the less we're likely to argue over oils like the Yahooers do. Time to deal with the facts for a change.

Please don't take away my entertainment. :nyah nyah: EVERY motorcycle forum has to argue about "Oil". I think it's a rule.....:rofl_200:

Can't ... help ...must ... post ... about ... oil.

This has to be the longest running thread on every forum related to vehicles.

Im using Delvac (20W50?). I use diesel vehicle motor oil because it has more of the slippery metals that lubricate well but aren't well represented in gasoline car motor oils because these same metals kill catalytic converters. I could just buy motorcycle specific oil and get the same basic product, but diesel oil is WAY cheaper.

If you really want to discuss oil, go to bobistheoilguy.com. They discuss oil full time. I don't hang out there, but I do find they have some decent info, IMHO.

Back