Motorcycles banned from Pikes Peak racing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
An unfortunate circumstance. Keep these people away from the Isle of Man! I assume legal liability was the cause. However, I do not know that for-sure.

Motorbikes permanently excluded from Pikes Peak International Hill Climb | MCN (motorcyclenews.com)

The organisers of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb have announced that motorbikes will be permanently excluded from the competition.

Bike racing was temporarily excluded from the event after racer Carlin Dunne was tragically killed at the 2019 event in a crash just before the finish line.

The event’s organisers have the last two years conducting research and consulting with colleagues from other motorsports events before taking the decision.

"Motorcycle competition has been part of the history of the race off-and-on since 1916, and has been both thrilling and tragic for competitors and fans alike," explained Fred Veitch, Interim Chairman of the Board.

"This has been a long process and a difficult decision, but we believe it is the right decision and one that is in the best interest of the organization at this time."
[end]
Whoever held a record at the last meeting, or whose record went unbroken, will now hold it in perpetuity.

As a tonic for the disappointment of the loss of this venue, try a taste of this: Sunday highlights | Goodwood Festival of Speed 2021 - YouTube

For me the drifting is 'ho-hum...' where rubber torture seems to be the motivation. Skip-ahead to ~9:28 and see some vintage cars doing a really-entertaining rendition of what they did, in the day. The first red one, if you know what this one is, you're probably collecting your Social Security check now. There was one for sale here in so. FL just before COVID, I was sorely-tempted to go-see it, a project car up for-sale after the deceased husband's dream wasn't finished, before he was. I saved the ad. Watching the rear wheel of the Mini hopping up and down as the 2-box hammers down the road, was a fun spectacle. A bit-on, the Porsche GT3 is being caned as it tries to best the top time on the road. The sound of the Senna McLaren-Honda being run by one of today's stars, he was in-awe of the skills drivers had to exhibit to use these F1 cars of the 1980's/'90's to their fullest: "I never got it out of second!," he said. If you watch from the beginning, you may just see one of the top movie stars in the world, there to watch and to applaud the noise and spectacle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back