Motorcycling "Off" Season - Pitfalls of extended layup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you replace a helmet.Thats past it's recommended date?
Even though it has no visible damage.
Yes.

I think it's 10 years it's pretty much mandatory. (Some say 3 to 5 but that's ridiculous.) The reason being that the inner shell that absorbs impact becomes brittle over time and loses its original absorption ability.

I still have my old Scorpion EXO. It's in the box my new Carbon Fiber Scorpion came in. In some sort of emergency (Like I dropped my new one and cracked it) I'd use it but that's about it.

Yes.

I think it's 10 years it's pretty much mandatory. (Some say 3 to 5 but that's ridiculous.) The reason being that the inner shell that absorbs impact becomes brittle over time and loses its original absorption ability.

I still have my old Scorpion EXO. It's in the box my new Carbon Fiber Scorpion came in. In some sort of emergency (Like I dropped my new one and cracked it) I'd use it but that's about it.
I love my scorpion exo. It's been a great lid. But like old tires.time to do.one last Smokey burnout.
And shelf it.

Anyway, this is one of the Gremlins I was talking about. Looks like one of my darn floats stuck down. Number three to be exact. A few sharp raps with a half inch extension and rocking the bike back and forth a few times appears to have cleared it up. Started the machine up, it fired instantly and settled into that wonderful lope that I've grown to love with the Vboost butterflies forced wide open. No more overflow.

My Valkyrie is prone to do that every now and then. And on that rascal, it could be one of six stuck floats. PIA.

I haven't experienced that on the V-Max or the Valkyrie yet, but the other night I noticed a 6" puddle of oil under the clutch side of my Honda Shadow, which has never leaked a drop of anything! I traced it up to the teardrop-shaped air cleaner above the clutch housing, and when I removed the 5 screws and popped the cover on that I got 2 quarts of oily gasoline all over me, the bike, and the pavers next to the driveway. Apparently the same issue, but at least I only have one carb to play with on that one. :D

Back