Motorcycling "Off" Season - What do YOU do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to ride year 'round. In fact, most either cannot or don't ride 12 months out of the year. Phoenix is no exception. Only a little backward. While as in colder climes, there are a few hardy souls who soldier on and suffer mightily for it, I am not one of them. It's damn hot. Currently, even our small group of riders who do weekend early morning "turnaround" trips to nearby lakes, etc. has suspended operation. When overnight temps don't fall much below 90F (if they even do), it doesn't take much sunlight (which starts coming on around 5AM) to begin to warm things up quickly.

So, it's the Southern Arizona mean season. Motorcycling "Off" season if you will. Since it's getting cost prohibitive to keep the shop cool, activity out there has also dwindled to near nothing. Although I have other activities to keep busy, I am jonesing for a little cycle therapy - wrenching OR riding. Have a tentative road trip scheduled for the California mid-coast, but that's September. Long time 'til then. Best I can do (and have done) until then is to order parts in anticipation of resuming the handful of projects I have prioritized for the upcoming "Season".

What are everyone else's preferred cycle activities during the off season? Am I missing something (besides prowling the forums, reading old Egan articles and back-issues of classic British bike mags)?

Here in N.J, spring and fall are the best riding seasons.

Summertime is relatively short, but the high humidity - dew points make riding somewhat uncomfortable.

When winter sets in, there’s time spent in the garage, addressing other projects etc.

I suffer the heat in Arkansas to a point, but generally don’t ride much in January or February. Rest of the year I ride. Low temp cut off for me is 38 to 40. January and February I use for projects and maintenance.

Up in Montreal, Quebec. Fortunate to have 4 very distinct seasons. The longest being a teeth clattering winter. It’s a winter wonderland to those who pursue a sport or hobby. My wife and I downhill ski. I’d love to get into snowmobiling but as we both have bikes, can’t justify the cost…for now. For the rest (mostly city dwellers) who don’t see winter as a playground, they just bitch and hibernate and wait for Spring while suffering from cabin fever. Never understood people who can waste so much of their lives every year and are in denial of the coming winter or fight it when all you need is a few good pieces of outerwear to enjoy it!

Riding is best anytime we can since we all go through withdrawal every year for about 5 months. On the plus side, bikes last longer with less wear and mileage, and you get to feel giddy in anticipation every Sping all over again. Another great thing of having 4 seasons is your environment is never stagnant. It can, however be expensive if you’re keen on being well kitted for cold, rain, heat, or all of the above sometimes in a single day depending on the season. Of course the riding off season is wrenching time.

I ride all year round but not on the vmax, it's too nice for road filth, this year I'll be permanently leaving work so will not be riding all year anymore unless the weather is good, I will spend my time making things and hopefully selling some, I'm currently making a stainless steel tree

Can pretty much ride year round here just can't go some spots up in the Mountains. I ride the Tail of the Dragon more in the winter than I do in Summer most of the Idiots are gone then. I have my Luv truck & the Rustang to play with & I build my art stuff out of old metal. I don't actually ride a ton anymore do to my Neck & shoulder so I do the Art or Play in the Luv more than anything. I also seem to do more paint work in the winter when other people can't ride.

Latest posts

Back