motorcyles vs dog

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks, natural reaction though brake hard and try to dodge.
Just like with a car and deer, or with any animal, do not swerve, brake under control if you can...

I'm a big proponent for antilock brakes.
They most likely would have prevented the 2nd bike from crashing.
Just think how important that would have been if that truck was a little further down the road.

One important factor taught at the california superbike school by keith code was when you are in an accident and sliding or rolling you will inadvertently want to stand up. Keith says to stay down for a few secs so you don't try standing while you are still moving. All I can say is if that rider had not stood up and moved he would not be here today.

That bob tailer was hauling ass to his next pick up. He skidded and controled that truck well. He must have been a seasoned Vet. He could have slid out of control right over that downed rider. That rider that hit the dog locked it up so hard you can see his tire looks like it flattened. I like my brake set-up. I can grab a handful of brake hard and not lock it up. Only HH pads up front for me.And clean fluid with good hoses. . Good tire thread and pressure. Every little bit helps. It comes down to how fast you can react without skidding. Not easy when it's a split second decision and adrenaline is peaking. Know your bike. The school I went to made everyone skid on a sandy spot once. It wasn't pretty for some. I still practice slowing her down hard.
Steve

Last edited:
That 1st rider already lost control & tucked the front end when he hit the dog. A classic high-side. His instincts took over, and he grabbed a handful of front brake. Countersteering may have prevented the accident, and the second rider looked like he was tailgating the 1st guy, w/no way to avoid him when he went down. A good argument for staggered riding.

Yes, the tractor driver did a good job of avoidance and control.

That 1st rider already lost control & tucked the front end when he hit the dog. A classic high-side. His instincts took over, and he grabbed a handful of front brake. Countersteering may have prevented the accident, and the second rider looked like he was tailgating the 1st guy, w/no way to avoid him when he went down. A good argument for staggered riding.

Yes, the tractor driver did a good job of avoidance and control.

Gotta disagree with that. He's in good shape until impact with the dog.

The trailing rider definitely grabbed to much brake and washed out the front tire.

Looks like they were staggered.....but on a one lane road things happen real quick and there is no escape route available.

Every rider, even pros will grab to much brake if impact is appears imminent.

We 'agree to disagree.' I see the bike out of shape before he rolls over/past the hind quarters, he's already high-siding. The kinetic energy of 600 lbs of bike & rider is going to roll right over the back quarters of the canine, which may have been 70 lbs if that.

Gotta disagree with that. He's in good shape until impact with the dog.

The trailing rider definitely grabbed to much brake and washed out the front tire.

Looks like they were staggered.....but on a one lane road things happen real quick and there is no escape route available.

Every rider, even pros will grab to much brake if impact is appears imminent.

Looks perfectly normal at this point. No doubt the bike was way out of shape shortly after this (like a few milliseconds).

impact.jpg

I'll just be the first to say it as an animal lover, that poor dog had a really shitty day to, if he even survived it. The dogs owner on the other hand needs a swift ass kicking. I do believe he would be liable for damages caused by his pet in most states.

I hit a raccoon a few years back on my Sprint, I broke hard until the moment of impact. No swerving or braking during impact and I was able to keep it upright althought it was a wild ride. My first thought was about the poor raccoon that just got cut in half. The dog in this video is considerably larger though, not sure you can avoid going down with one that big.

EDIT. That tractor reminded me of this scene from Mad Max right away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADwK698IQA

Thankfully it ended a little better for these guys, it sure qualifies as a near death experience. Good thing the tractor driver was paying attention.

Swerve? Maybe it's really difficult to judge at the immediate time. Bros drove over a porcupine with his '87. Says it launched him into the air about a foot off the asphalt at about 50 mph. Surprised he didn't hole either tyre. Cut the critter pretty much in half at the spine he said.
All I know, is I don't envy the drivers facing this, but it's a reality.

Back