Mount a GPS on max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my phone as a GPS on a ram mount that is fixed to the clutch resovoir. It is rock solid and has zero vibration. A GPS or any other device of similar form factor would also fit, ram mount has a ton of options if you prefer it elsewhere along with extension arms, etc.

I use a tank bag with a clear plastic lens pocket on the top. Also have a wireless sound system so I can hear what the GPS is saying. Works very well and the bag gives me easy access to anything I want to carry. Can be easily removed when going away from view of the bike. Small and it has a carry strap.

I have a Garmin 60csx (compact, waterproof, reliable) and I have used it on 3 different bikes and a quad with a ram mount. I havnt used it on the Vmax yet but a test fit looks promising. IIRC the ram mount isnt the cheapest way to go but it's a pretty darn solid one. A Ram EZ looks like it might work nice too.

I mounted my Zumo on the garmin mount on the crossbar on my Pro-taper bar, but I've also had it clamped to the bars on another trip. 6,000 miles an no issues.

I had a hybrid Ram mount for my Garmin, that mounted to the handlebars. The Cell phone also uses a Ram mount to the handlebars.

There's a guy who replaced his dash panel with a garmin 2620. It's pretty sweet, but you'd lose those gauges.

On top of my 2" ROX pivoting risers:

ndvc7b.jpg

beh635.jpg

2ik60ky.jpg

Did you have to get longer hoses or cables to run the risers.

Not in my case as I flipped the stock bars upside down. (Hard to see, but if you look at the last pic, you can see the reverse curve on the bars) Flipping the bars with the stock risers drops the controls pretty low and forward; it was a bit too much with my middle-age gut and no rearsets. Putting the 2-inch ROX risers on the upside down bars gave me the stance I was looking for, plus they are designed to rotate for fine tuning. (I still put my feet on the passenger pegs while cruising)

I had tried several combinations of clip on bars and taller risers but still had plenty of cable/hose slack just by loosening the control pods and hose connections.
The stock throttle cables are now a tad too long and had to be reconfigured from the stock arrangement.

I've got an old TomTom GPS. I use it with a RAM Mount attached to the handlebars on my Roadstar. Having a set of drag bars on the Max, there isn't enough room to mount it to the bars, but it would be nice to be able to.

I ran my Garmin Montana 680T in it's own locking mount on the handlebar with ram mounts with Ram locking mounts. This was for my trip to Newfoundland this summer and will probably never go back on Redbone!

126.jpg Redbone GPS.jpg

Sorry, it's not a very clear zoom shot but alas I took very few pictures of the bikes and overall, all the best pictures are in my memories of the awesome trip to Newfoundland with Dave!:punk::punk::punk:

Back