Moving the tank under the cover?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niccolo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just new in here.

I still haven't received my 1st Vmax (it should be home next week) and I'm already thinking about possible mods.
It will be a Canadian 1st gen in black, 26k miles, piggyback ohlins and a modified rear wheel profile

I've always wondered if there's a way to move the tank from under the seat to under the tank cover.
I've searched in the forum but couldn't find anything about it.

I guess 1st step'd be to get rid of the airbox, hence some modification to the carbs intake.
I've read about the VGAS, looks like they may help (moving the intakes out of the frame), but on the forum looks like they're not entirely recommended nor easy to find.

(sorry for the bad pics, they're from the listing...)
Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 11.01.45.png Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 11.01.35.png Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 11.01.21.png Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 11.01.07.png

So, anyone did it? any hint and recommendation?

Thanks in advance
p.s. sorry but I could find an intro page to present myself

Your choice to do, but why in *&^^! would you want-to, or need-to? Seems like there are many other mods to spend $ on that would yield better benefits. Looks like you may already have radials. I consider radial tires to be the #1 mod for handling, performance, and safety. Since you already have a set of Ohlins, and with your radials, I suspect the front end may have a Race-Tech cartridge emulator front-end kit, since someone already spent $$$ on rear suspension and the rear wheel. Is your front tire a radial, I assume the rear is.

Someone (Exactrep?) offers a top of the airbox auxilary tank, but it totally-destroys the lines of the bike, and I think it's only another 5 quarts.

Last edited:
I know I know... I'm a bit obsessed with the "nothing under the seat" look getting rid of the airbox on all my bikes.
I believe that the engine would really stand out.
I agree though, the auxiliary tank is not what I'm looking for so any other idea is very much appreciated

The factory induction system is engineered to work together as a complete system. If you are going for the drag bike look you would only need a tiny tank and potentially you could eliminate your air box, use pod filters and put something of maybe half stock capacity above the filters and still be under the stock false tank but you would probably only end up with two gallons maybe less, but that would enable you to open up the area under the seat. I happen to like the side covers and the air horns and I think those are iconic parts of the Vmax along with the profile of the engine. There's something to be said for a see-through bike, where the area under the seat is relatively open but that design parameter is usually restricted to track bikes like short track bikes. Bikes of the 1970s could also have that type of open through the frame below the seat appearance. If you wanted to dramatically change the looks of the bike, I would remove the engine from the bike get it vapor blasted and turn everything into an aluminum mill finish color engine instead of the black engine. I think that would look pretty different.

"a tiny tank and potentially you could eliminate your air box, use pod filters and put something of maybe half stock capacity above the filters and still be under the stock false tank but you would probably only end up with two gallons maybe less"

It sounds like an option! perhaps adding a 2nd small tank under the seat...
Still I was hoping for some kit ready to fit, but there's really no reference or example of that on the web

Hey Niccolo,
Give the mod monkey 2 parts Exactrep ,1 part Otec and a double shot of Morley's muscle.
You WILL have new order's for what to put under that faux cover.

Hey Niccolo,
Give the mod monkey 2 parts Exactrep ,1 part Otec and a double shot of Morley's muscle.
You WILL have new order's for what to put under that faux cover.

Heehhhehee... what a great cocktail, I'm already drunk!o_O:confused:o_O:confused:
I'm checking their website, let's see what I can find

It would mean you would be moving the CofG higher, and as others have suggested you may lose some capacity. On the other hand there are scoop replacements out there that actually work as air intakes but not sure how much air box space they would free up to give you more fuel capacity.
I would encourage you to keep working on a solution to what you want, you may come up with a solution no one has thought of!

I have that cover here at the shop actually if anyone is interested in it. It will require modifications to use it.

Didn't FatMax use to make a tank that replaced the faux tank and the scoops?

Roger (Fatmax) had a decorative cover but not a functional tank.

Back