Murdered my 85- give your honest opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did a little bit today, cleared and polished all my black, took my side scoops down to bare metal and repainted with a dark silver metal flake then cleared, matched the lower headlight bucket and front fender mount. Will probably paint more in the days to come and will post daytime pics tomorrow. Here are a few
CAM00792.jpg

if it will help others I will, but I feel any posts Id make would be redundant. Everything I do paint wise has been said a thousand times over- prep, primer, sand, sand, sand, wet sand, base, clear, cure, polish.

And thank you for the compliment... so high on paint fumes I lost my manners

if it will help others I will, but I feel any posts Id make would be redundant. Everything I do paint wise has been said a thousand times over- prep, primer, sand, sand, sand, wet sand, base, clear, cure, polish.

Sounds like you are sanding the primer only. No sanding on the color coat? No sanding of the clear, just polish?

I've used a bit of rustoleum and had some issues. If I waited too long between coats, it would wrinkle. I got best results by spraying a coat and waiting just a few mins (5 or 10) then hitting it again, again, again.....

Seems like the shit never dries. I painted a set of forks and let them sit for 3 days in a 70 degree room at work. Wrapped em up with paper and brought them home and found that they should have sat longer, paint was still a bit soft. Looked ok but was easily damaged.

I'm open to any tips you have.

Do you do the "air intake" cover also?? that's a good separator color between the dark top & dark bottom.....i may do my side covers in white since the fenders/"tank" are blue....go R1 style...lol

i sand the primer and base coat, use a hair dryer on the clear to harden and use rubbing compound and glaze on the clear after two or three days. the results are pretty good but im usually cautious with it for about a week. not putting my tank bag on, that sort of thing. it takes about two weeks to fully harden but if youre careful the results look professional.

Back