Muscle jet tuning game plan

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised you can get your main that small. What exhaust and elevation are you at?

Dale

Start with the mains. This will also lean the midrange at the same time. You may find yourself richening up the midrange to get best power there (it's hard to get them lean enough and have it pull well at the same time).

I'm surprised you can get your main that small. What exhaust and elevation are you at?

Dale

I have 145's in my and I'm just around the corner from you Dale, in buffalo. Dyno said 147.5's were rich. I have Morleys kit also.

Start with the mains. This will also lean the midrange at the same time. You may find yourself richening up the midrange to get best power there (it's hard to get them lean enough and have it pull well at the same time).

Ok...thanks for the advice Sean. Even with the mains being rich, its WAY different running around town. I'm happy with the kit.

I have to run 162.5 mains (mikuni) or mine wont pull to redline, breaks up around 6000 rpm and wont go past it.

Every bike is different. Also, the needles used will make a difference too. He's using a different needle then we normally include. Usually the aftermarket needles need smaller mains and the stock needles need larger mains.

Temperature, humidity, elevation, ect... all affect the tune.

I have 145's in my and I'm just around the corner from you Dale, in buffalo. Dyno said 147.5's were rich. I have Morleys kit also.

I switched to stage 7 needles late last year. Jetted down to 155 from the 170s I needed with stock needles. I feel it's a tad rich so based on this info I'm going to try 152.5s!
Thanks for the info guys :punk:

Dale

After the jet change to 147.5's I took the bike back out. I wasn't able to get a top end reading....too much traffic.

BUT....the A/F numbers much improved at part throttle. Idle is still around 14.1, at 50 mph...about 3200 rpm 14.2-14.5. At 70 mph it is now 13.5. So basically the 1 jet size smaller moved me up 1 A/F point.

I am very happy with this kit. The Idle sound has more of a "throatier" sound, and around town you can DEFINITELY tell there is more torque.

Keep us updated please. Based on my experience with this kit and the stock needles I never would have thought we could jet down this much. Your experience with the fp needles is very interesting. Thanks.

Dale

I'm using 165 Dyna Jets for mains, Dyna filters, and stage 7 needles on the 4th clip from the blunt end. I also am using springs with lengths between stage 7 and stock. A/F screws between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 turns out. I know I'm rich through the mid- range. But I'm getting the torque and throttle response I always wanted. I'm also going to try the 177's in pj2. Like Sean said, all our bikes are a little different. I think float levels are a factor too. I went to 139 miles before the red light on a highway run a couple of weeks ago. Keep it coming Eric, good thread.

Out of curiosity, what do the factory pro needles run? Your pic just confirmed my suspicions that i have stage 1 needles not stage 7 like i was led to believe, lol.

I'm impressed that you very first effort was so "right" or "spot on" even before you went back and fine tuned it. That's pretty cool all by itself.

Don't want to talk about how any times I pulled my carbs trying to find a stage 7 setup that would work with the big motor.

Latest posts

Back