Muscle R1 front end

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
OK guys, got a set of preliminary adapters ready. Still have some cosmetic things to address and go ahead with your input. We are going to thin the thickness up a bit since we think the current 10mm thick walls only need to be about 5mm thick. We are also going to make the pinch area longer with about 4 or 5 pinch bolts instead of the current 2.

I am going to estimate about $300-$400 plus whatever finish you want for the completed units. That's a lot less then a full set of trees though admitedly not as pretty.

You need the complete R1 front end and R1 lower triple. You will re-use your stock upper and the stem from your lower.

Sean

Attachments

• 1216081527.jpg
    1216081527.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 1216081527a.jpg
    1216081527a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 1216081537.jpg
    1216081537.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 179
Looks pretty sweet!!! They do look a bit "beefy" don't they. Another thing that may be a cool add-on would be a spacer to basically take the same OD of your adapter all the way down to the lower triple. It could basically be a tube, but i may help to complete the look. Me likey!!!!!

Seems like the lowers from the R1 are a little skimpy?

I would also put the pinch bolts on the side to match the lowers or put them in the back to keep them out of sight.

Also with the current set up shown how much flex would be at the stock uppers and the adapters?

I like Jeff's idea of making it look solid all the way down.

Last edited:
This might seem like a stooopid question but....

Why cant the R1 upper be modified to fit the Vmax stem???
I dont have one in front of me but it seems like if you have the R1 lower and the VMax stem then the uppers would be easier to modify. Not sure, thanks in advance

Cheers

The stock R1 upper would need to have holes drilled and bushings made for the riser. Then the ignition housing area would need to be shaved off then finally some sort of bushing made for the stem bolt hole (the R1 is much larger bolt hole).

Sean

have you road tested a resprung set?and does the adapter thread in and clamp?then you drop the adjuster extensions in a hole that lines up with fork center?it would look good anodized gold and with a sleeve down to the lower and hidden hardware.how close is it to the ign switch at lock?thanks mike

More testing to come when it thaws out around here. I think the regular production units will be solid all the way down to the lower triple. There is no access to the adjusters at the moment but am looking at that too.

Sean

More testing to come when it thaws out around here. I think the regular production units will be solid all the way down to the lower triple. There is no access to the adjusters at the moment but am looking at that too.

Sean

Send some out here to me for testing!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::punk::punk: I will even pay for the shipping!!!

Any thoughts about moving the clamps to the side or behind to hide them?

Weather hasn't been good enough to do any testing yet but we haven't forgotten the project. We are pretty sure the next versions will have full length sleeves that cover completely between the upper and lower triple. This will help looks and give even greater area of contact on the extension.

I still would like to test it here even though we talked about doing that.

We are also going to be looking at another USD that is even larger forks and chromed. Plus they will have the full length to them.

Sean

going to be test riding the suspension tomorrow. Once test ridden it will be ready for sale as is (or can be cleaned up and coated/chromed). I will also sell my dropped upper tripple too which allows for the inverted front end.

Sean

Looks pretty sweet!!! They do look a bit "beefy" don't they. Another thing that may be a cool add-on would be a spacer to basically take the same OD of your adapter all the way down to the lower triple. It could basically be a tube, but i may help to complete the look. Me likey!!!!!

Here is my fav beefy look:

BEEFY

Vitek

I haven't played any more on this in awhile. I do have an upper triple I am going to sell that will allow the use of the R1 lower with a Vmax stem pressed into place. I've got most of the stuff you would need but waiting on some special spacers which should be ready soon.

Sean

Hello, do you still produce the adapters and how much for a set shipped to UK? Is the R1 lower triple straight bolt on to the Vmax stem? Thank you!

Hello, do you still produce the adapters and how much for a set shipped to UK? Is the R1 lower triple straight bolt on to the Vmax stem? Thank you!

We have a few different adapters for the 85-92 forks and can ship them anywhere. They run $30 for unfinished, $40 for powdercoated black, and $50 for chromed. I am out of the busa 6 piston adapers (which use diff rotors and busa calipers) but should have them in soon.

I do have a few sets of the 4 piston adapters that allow use of your current rotors.

I do believe I even have calipers for both types of adapters on hand and maybe even one more set of used rotors (I can get new Galfers too).

The vmax stem must be pressed out of the stock vmax lower and then installed and pinned into the R1 lower. It's been some time since i did this and trying to remember if we had to cold weld the stem up and recut it. I don't think we needed to.

Sean

I would like a set of chromed adapters ASAP, please send me a PM. Just to clarify, I have measured the R1 forks I intend to use - 50mm at the top, 54mm at the bottom, and my Vmax is the early (40mm fork) version. However I have installed R1 brakes (and rotors) and I'd like to keep the wheel too, will that be possible? Thank you!

Back