Muscle Swingarms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
OK guys, we are almost done making the jig fixture. Hopefully we will be making the first extended arm in 1-2 weeks. Let's get anyone seriously interested in one let me know. You can note it on here and then also send me a direct email - [email protected]

I know a few have expressed an interest.

Still not 100% sure on cost but looking towards a $400-$450 price range for the bare finished arm plus the shaft (still not sure if we will use a sportmax shaft or get some of our own).

Sean Morley

You would say this right after I spent 800 in computer parts!?!?!!

Either way let me know when and I'm in...

Frank

Fixture done and first arm started. Got it cut and one side welded back in. Still got to connect the second side then notch and brace it.

Sean

I'm going to want one of these Sean. I need to get through the holidays first though. :bang head: Are they going to be braced? How muck longer than stock are they goin go to be? Will the shocks still bolt to the pumpkin or are you relocating them? How much would it add to the price to get one chromed?

Ok, got some pics of the first arm on the bike! This one is 3" over with notch to clear the 190 metzler I have on the bike with some room to spare. If the washer was added in I would say it should clear most 200's. Of course it is all in the wheel offset too.

The brace is 1.25" chrome moly tubing and doubled at that. We added very little weight. This one is already spoken for but looking at $550 with coating. Still will need to buy your shaft which I am working on too.

The next arm will probably have 1x2 box tubing to see what it looks like. We are also building an even tricker arm which we plan to start in a few weeks. It will be an open drive-shafted arm for max clearance. More details to come.

Sean

Attachments

• 3 inch over left side.jpg
    3 inch over left side.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 3 inch over right side.jpg
    3 inch over right side.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 363
  • 05 Side View.jpg
    05 Side View.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 387
It looks great Sean! I really like the double bracing touch. :thumbs up: I'll be looking for one, probably next year though.
How much does the 3" over lower it w/ stock length shocks? I would like to end up with the rear end lowered about 1". How much it lowers will determine what length shocks I will get.

I am not sure how much it actually lowered the bike but it's around the 1" mark and maybe lower. That bike in the pic is stock shock on the rear and 1" lower internally on the forks if I remember right.

Sean

hey kewl swing arm do u sell the extended shaft also or do you modify my final drive shaft? I am needing one either 3 in or the 6 in over. 4 inch would be great. but hey beggers cant be chosers. I am in sell me one dude!!

if you do with the 18inch tire set up it will even out on the back end i think

where did u get that backrest

the 18" tires fill the wheel opening better. It's a stock yamaha backrest that has been chromed (we do chrome exchange work too).

Sean

Sean can you relocate the mountings for the rear brake to go on the underside to clean up the top end???
Cheers:punk:
Fargo

Also does the 3" over improve rear rider comfort?

I would not say passenger comfort is changed at all. We can relocate the tab but keep in mind it is much more of a pain to bleed the brakes. We could shorten up the brake stay bar and roll the caliper forward which would put it behind the shock thus hiding it a bit.

Sean

Awesome ,..I'm still in Sean,...got snow coming in this weekend so I'll be putting Max away shortly...I will let you know when I have the arm off , and will confirm about that sweet seat as well.
Do you have the shafts as well , or will i have to order separate?

Hi Sean,
Do you have a picture of that bike directly from the side? I've been thinking about a stretched arm for a long time now and I want to see if directly from the side, if the tire fits the fender correctly. Even have a spare arm waiting to get modded. But, I always see 3" over arm offered and thought that it may be too far rearward. I think that with the stock rear fender, my 18" rear radial looks a bit too far forward. I don't want the stretch to make the wheel look too far to the rear and not line up properly with the fender. I was always thinking that a 2" stretch would be just perfect. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Vinnie

Not sure if I have exactly what you want for a picture. Depending on the rear wheel and tire you use, the tire can eat the fender. Note the right side pic. This is a 6" wheel and the widest 190 they make. A 5.5" wheel would usually not cause this problem.

We are going to make one more 3" right now then we will be doing an open driveshafted 2.5" stretch followed by a couple of 6" versions.

Sean

Attachments

• Chrome side view.jpg
    Chrome side view.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Chrome side view Right.jpg
    Chrome side view Right.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 155
Very nice Job Sean, looks great!

I too especially like the double tube bracing.....

I did OK by myself doing a notch and brace job but it takes REAL talent to stretch one without screwing it up so Congrats on that...

On the fender clearance;

A friend of mine, the one with the 1500, has the PCW 3" over swingarm that keeps the stock shock angle by relocating the lower shock mounts forward and even with a monster max tailght and higher mount license plate

http://www.monstermax.com/

The stock length shocks 13" in Works brand (now on my bike since he sold them to me) the bike sat low enough that it was going to eventually eat the license plate on a deep compression.

I think this was due to the longer swingarm having more leverage on the shock, effectively making it a weaker/softer shock.

He went to an aftermarket Ohlins I think in 13.5" or 14" length.

Keeping the stock location like your doing and using a slightly longer shock might alleviatte this. A side mount plate would eliminate it altogether probably.

In any case, nice job as we need more vendors able to do this job.....

Hi Sean,
Thanks for those pictures. That's exactly what I wanted to see. I have a wheel that was modified in Germany by a guy named Georg Deget. I got it through Joe at Boxenstopp in Daytona. It's a weld up wheel just like the Kosman wheel. It's 18"x 5.5 with a Metzeler 880, 180/55/18. The wheel fills the gap nice when I'm sitting on the bike and doesn't hit the fender with my 12.5 Progressive 418's. I just always thought that the wheel would look better if it were 1 to 2 inches farther back.
I really want to see the open drive 2.5 when you get it done, and definitely want to see a stretch if you ever try a 2". Great work and thanks for posting the pics.

Vinnie

Latest posts

Back