Muscle Swingarms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or I could just eat ramen noodles for 2 years and buy a used 2010! I want one so bad, I should have never rode one in June so now I really want to try one that I can really twist the grip on! So much DIFFERENT than a gen1 it's, it's, it's just really nice, comfortable and fasssst. The gen1 one is a one of a kind for sure but so is the gen2.
VMAX's are just awesome!:punk:

There is a nice one on EBAY now for $12.8K in Kansas. Low milage with options. Good Luck, Spurs:punk:

I have Seans 3" stretch with the offset for the 5.5" rim and i love it , it tracks SOOOOOOO much better now,and i also went with the 12.5 440HDs and they are great as well. I do have my notched and braced pcw arm for sale pwdr coated gloss black for sale. JIM

I have Seans 3" stretch with the offset for the 5.5" rim and i love it , it tracks SOOOOOOO much better now,and i also went with the 12.5 440HDs and they are great as well. I do have my notched and braced pcw arm for sale pwdr coated gloss black for sale. JIM

Pictures??

1969vmax/ Jim: Are your shocks in the stock position? Does your tire hit the fender? Pics would be great, thanks!
Sean: I have Mark's exhaust, with a 3" stretched s/a the bracing will clear the crossover pipe, correct?

We made Jims arm with an offset and custom driveshaft extender (not the big shaft). That allowed for the wheel to be virtually perfectly centered (a stock wheel would now be offset to the left). This also allowed for more clearance on the right side of the rear fender for the bigger tires. BUT, it also doesn't allow for a huge tire either (180 and some 190's will work). We could have notched the arm more but would have had to shift the wheel some back right and that would not have given us what we wanted.

Jim used a PCW offset shock bracket (2.5") so it's only 1/2" off from the original location. That would amount to about 1/2" of lowering compared to the previous ride height with the same shocks as before.

I can clear about any exhaust with the 3" over arm since the bracing is shifted back. We have a 3" we have started without the offset too. This method would allow for larger tires and with the stock wheel would keep the same centerline. The only time I had a fender rub was with shock mount left in the rearward shifted position and a 6" wide wheel in place. The shock mount shifted rearward like that will lower the bike 2.5" compared to previous height with the same shocks.

3" is about as long as you want to go and still use the stock rear fender. We will have a 6" arm ready to go in the near future too. BUT, that requires some modification to the rear fender or a custom rear fender.

Sean

Anyone out there with a few minutes and a loose swingarm laying around? I need to get the size of the shock stud - length and diameter please. upper mount of the frame would give me a good dimension too.

Anyone have a pic of a bike with a 3" extended arm and the PCW shock relocator bracket?

Sean,

I was checking out some pics on your website of bikes with the extended arm. I really like the look of Kevins bike (? the one with carr's and carbon fiber kerker can). Do you know what length shocks are on that bike and is the arm extended 3"?

Sorry but I'm nowhere near the bike to be able to help out with the shock stud measurement. Thought the diameter was 10mm?

Sorry Mabdcmb i tried to put up pics but every time i try is says file to large, if you want i can shoot you some and send them to your email? JIM

That would be cool Jim, I will give a PM with my email.
I will try and get the pics posted up on the site for you when I get a chance.

Thanks

12.5" Progressive 430's. Shocks are relocated 1.5" forward. Currently PCW relocator puts it 2.5" forward. Jims v'max we recently put one on has 12.5" 440's on with his RC Comp wheel.

I don't remember how low in the front Jims is but Kevin's is 2" lowered in the front.

Sean

Anyone out there with a few minutes and a loose swingarm laying around? I need to get the size of the shock stud - length and diameter please. upper mount of the frame would give me a good dimension too.

On the left side the pumpkin shock stud:
"from the nut side"-M10 X 1.25 lenght: 15mm>>>diameter shock shaft: 13,95mm OD and 20mm lenght>>> threaded parts that goes into pumpkin: M10 X 1.5
and 15mm lenght.

-On the right side "from the nut side"- the same but with no M10 X 1.5 part (welded here).

We made Jims arm with an offset and custom driveshaft extender (not the big shaft). That allowed for the wheel to be virtually perfectly centered (a stock wheel would now be offset to the left). This also allowed for more clearance on the right side of the rear fender for the bigger tires. BUT, it also doesn't allow for a huge tire either (180 and some 190's will work). We could have notched the arm more but would have had to shift the wheel some back right and that would not have given us what we wanted.

Jim used a PCW offset shock bracket (2.5") so it's only 1/2" off from the original location. That would amount to about 1/2" of lowering compared to the previous ride height with the same shocks as before.

I can clear about any exhaust with the 3" over arm since the bracing is shifted back. We have a 3" we have started without the offset too. This method would allow for larger tires and with the stock wheel would keep the same centerline. The only time I had a fender rub was with shock mount left in the rearward shifted position and a 6" wide wheel in place. The shock mount shifted rearward like that will lower the bike 2.5" compared to previous height with the same shocks.

3" is about as long as you want to go and still use the stock rear fender. We will have a 6" arm ready to go in the near future too. BUT, that requires some modification to the rear fender or a custom rear fender.

Sean

Here are some pics of Jims bike with Sean's 3" over arm. VERY NICE!

Attachments

• Morley 3in over, PCW relocater, Jims Bike2.bmp
    320.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Morley 3in over, relocated shocks, Jims Bike2.bmp
    320.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Morley 3in over, relocated shocks, Jims Bike3.bmp
    321.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Morley 3in over, relocated shocks, Jims Bike4.bmp
    321.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Morley 3in over, relocated shocks, Jims Bike.bmp
    320.7 KB · Views: 78

Sean

Sean......Have you ever done a 2" over ?

Dale #2592

We haven't but it wouldn't be hard at all to do! We have a 2.675" longer driveshaft on hand we'll eventually make an arm for. The shaft is from the vstar 650 I think. I don't have an extension on hand for the 2" arm but we can get one made.

Sean

Jim has the RC Comp wheel similar to the stock one and does have the 18 i think.

Yes sir it is the rc 18" Heavy as PIG!!! I spent 4 hrs friday polishing the front and rear rim. I see Wild brothers is selling the wheels Sean use to, Carrozzi or how ever you spell the name.

I don't know if he hasn't updated his website but they are discontinued. So, unless he had a few on hand he can't sell them either. Now, they do still make the wheels and we can get a front (since they fit other bikes) but the vmax rear is specific and what they don't make. I know Bill sells to other brands/types of bikes too.

Sean

Here's the RC Comp Wheels on our 3" extended arm. Note plenty of room for much larger tire. Also, the offset will be far closer to the center. Also seen in a couple of pictures is the Kawasaki ZRX shocks modified to fit on the Vmax mounts. This lets us leave the shock mounts shifted back and get about 1.5" lowering of the bike.

Sean

Attachments

• 3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 2.jpg
    3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 3.jpg
    3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 4.jpg
    3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 3 inch offset arm - 18inch RC wheel 5.jpg