MVRK's Build Thread - Lots of DIY's inside

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvrk10256

Reaction score
Well this is not my first rodeo when it comes to modified cars/bikes. I like to do lots of mods, and I love to document stuff. So naturally I produce a lot of DIY's. There is a lot of excellent information on this site, but some of it is somewhat spread out, and some of the pictures suck. So every time I do a mod, I will post a DIY, and I will put it in as a separate post, so quick linking is possible.

What I am starting with:
0uyYe9Gl.jpg

DIY: Bright Guages + LED Turn mod

So this has been covered a few times, but I put together a complete setup. Honestly my LED mod didnt work perfectly, and it was not half and half and my OCD forced me to go back to my stock bulb. I will remedy this later after I do some thinking but here is all the info.

Shopping List:
Qty Product/Options Price/Ea
1 Radioshack LED assortment - 276-1622 4.99
1 Radioshack 1K resistors - 2711118 1.49
2 74-xHP: 74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base 74-RHP: Red $2.49
1 74-xHP: 74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base 74-GHP: Green $2.49
1 74-xHP: 74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base 74-BHP: Blue $2.49
4 74-xHP3: 74LEDBulb-3 SMD LED Wedge Base 74-CWHP3: Cool White $3.49
SubTotal: $25.10

In addition you will need 1 1K 1/2W resistor from radioshack if you want the separate blinkers.

Small Guages:
-Take off the gas tank
xanE2ygl.jpg

-2 x10mm nuts and washers right under the guages
tXy6bdzl.jpg

-Remove the bracket 2 x 8mm nuts and washers
mCUUeWCl.jpg

-Start with the two main bulbs. They are on the far right and the top right corner of the left side:
kIKyoNKl.jpg

EPqGlAYl.jpg

oOBzo2Ml.jpg

WEjuK69l.jpg

Now go through and replace the two main units, then replace all the little lights you want to, just pull them out and swap the bulbs. Remember LEDS have a polarity, so make sure to check they are in the right way. *I waited until my gas tank was near empty so I could check that*

Split LED mod:

The turn signal plug has 2 wires Brown, and Green. Brown is left and Green is right I believe. Each wires goes to the positive side of a LED, both neg sides of the LED (the short leg) go together to the resistor, and that goes to ground. Ground is the middle black wire.
fvDV18Ll.jpg

djstvP4l.jpg

w2ePYB5l.jpg

nD6teiol.jpg

osPFUO5l.jpg

LUP4BRal.jpg

5GwrDWyl.jpg

To do the steering guage:
-Use a 5mm hex ket to take out these two bolts and let it hang down
KUUT1tXl.jpg

-Remove the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the speedo in.
rKILrHHl.jpg

-Remove this screw to break the housing apart:
eQ7EwVHl.jpg

-remove the bracket - 2 x8mm to get the second bulb.
bqpx2RWl.jpg

Final result:
47fRA9cl.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with your build. I'm finishing mine now so if you have any questions message me.

Would be nice to have photos of the label that the leds came in. So you have size and website both right there.
Thanks for posting this.:)

Would be nice to have photos of the label that the leds came in. So you have size and website both right there.
Thanks for posting this.:)

They come in little baggies... Nothing special? I posted the links and part numbers. What else is needed?

Not sure the idea behind the multiple leds for the turn signals? Buy all means this is a nice write up, I did this also and had issues with leds and turn signals. The led would flash for "say" the right side but not the left. I can see using two leds to make it work for both sides but there is a better way. Using diodes can resolve this. There is some info on here to get it all taken care of, otherwise I can give more insite if needed. The diodes basically act as a one way valve for power.

Not sure the idea behind the multiple leds for the turn signals? ... Using diodes can resolve this ...

the left side of the lens flashes when the left indicators are blinking. the right side o the lens flashes when the right indicators are blinking. LEDs are Light Emitting Diodes

This is pretty much a "must do" upgrade....Thanks for posting this

Thanks. Lots more to come.

Not sure the idea behind the multiple leds for the turn signals? Buy all means this is a nice write up, I did this also and had issues with leds and turn signals. The led would flash for "say" the right side but not the left. I can see using two leds to make it work for both sides but there is a better way. Using diodes can resolve this. There is some info on here to get it all taken care of, otherwise I can give more insite if needed. The diodes basically act as a one way valve for power.

LED = Light emitting Diode

the left side of the lens flashes when the left indicators are blinking. the right side o the lens flashes when the right indicators are blinking. LEDs are Light Emitting Diodes

Beat me to it.

Correct you are, but install only one light emitting diode and it won't function for one or the other turn signals.

DIY: CBR Tail and LED Fronts

So again this is a DIY that has been covered, but I went through it today, and figured I would add my photos and my twist.

First you need this taillight:

03-06 Honda CBR-600RR Sequential Light

You will also need 2 M5 nuts for the rear of the taillight.

NOTE: This takes some time, to do well, so don't think you can do this in an hour.

Wiring:

Bike--------Function------ Taillight
Black-------ground----------black
Green-----right turn--------blue
Brown-----left turn--------yellow
Blue ----running light-------red
Yellow----brake------------ white

- Pop the gas cap and remove the two 10mm bolts on either side
DbbEZEvl.jpg

lTGMRCsl.jpg

-Remove the rear seat
XzvUQOCl.jpg

-Remove the 2 12MM bolts that hold the CF part on
HG7HKhZl.jpg

-Remove the single 10mm in the middle
FhfWJRGl.jpg

-Drop it down
0o9dtipl.jpg

-At this point I labeled all the wires, I have listed them all for you at the top of the thread.

-Get this guy on a workbench
V57v7Bjl.jpg

-Take off the plate
6BvFWdRl.jpg

-Take off these two 10mm nuts and pull the stock tail
oigSuVnl.jpg

-2 x phillips screws
fXITmvAl.jpg

-And off it comes
RTZJC4Sl.jpg

-Use a dremel or equivalent to get those little brackets off.
Th3gpfvl.jpg

-Take off these two tabs with a dremel or similar
e1tOiHwl.jpg

MS40zPsl.jpg

-Pull out the little rubber stops
ozPNuDbl.jpg

-Now the fitment process begins - all I can say is that measure twice cut once.
hukxtfGl.jpg

E7knpfcl.jpg

qHABaell.jpg

rMWLIoXl.jpg

-Use one of these gromets to protect the wires.
CrB7GqVl.jpg

-Extend all the wires:
CrB7GqVl.jpg

Time to get it back together:

-Remove the stock turn signals - 17mm nuts
62OjlMol.jpg

-Run all the wires on top. We will clean it up in a bit.
9Bbv2qWl.jpg

-fitment
8AjKZdFl.jpg

-Spend a few bucks and buy a bag of these- make everything OEM clean and easy
bsmU03xl.jpg

Like the factor:
r3LGdLrl.jpg

BAM!
fiu0uAWl.jpg

For the front, just take off the two hex screws that hold the bar on:
vnXIb1Gl.jpg

BAM!
GJcJvHxl.jpg

Thats it.

DIY/FS: Rear Frame Sliders / Lift Points

This is for a sportbike style stand in the rear. We will use the studs located on the lower shock mounts. Designed to fit the standard lift fork, like the harbor freight aluminum lift.

I will post FEA and solidworks model later - I am a EE and am still learning Solid Works.

I am making these using T304 Stainless Steel. They are fairly small so they dont add much weight, and are very tough.

I will be putting these for sale on my site, once I make a few sets. I am not looking to make money, but not everyone has access to a lathe and materials, so this will be for those people.
Please note the ones in the pics, haven't been fully debured, all the sold units will be.

Ordering will be through www.Maksinjection.com - Click the VMAX tab, and they will be available, once I get stock made.

Pics:
oUrJUCvl.jpg

w36nowHl.jpg

ONotfpMl.jpg

zsMOOEyl.jpg

Ot3UAFsl.jpg

v4FqQQEl.jpg

h7Bedvkl.jpg

Well those are slick as poo-poo! And I happen to have the lift those square-stock pieces fit, so the lift points/metal grommets will work just-fine. Gonna watch for the site to list them, as I see they are "out-of-stock."

I also have a spare fender and the CBR600 taillight, new, lying-about, waiting. Thanks for the encouragement.

I have one set made. One set on the bike. Going to try to make a few more sets tomorrow. Should have it ready to go by tomorrow night or Sunday morning

Those lighting mods should be exported to a how to on the proper section. Admins consideration...

Back