1st Gen V-Max My 2001 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.
That's very clean, and you took that photo almost immediately as you still have the dealers label on the ignition key.

Hi congratulations on the new to you bike!!!! Looks clean, I see the exhaust has been changed, how’s it sound? Like a frickin beast I’m sure, lol. Good luck with it, enjoy.

Bike looks great. I love the sound of the Suppertraps. Why did the top end need to be rebuilt?
The previous owner said that he had a miss and that a bike shop in Kenosha Wisconsin told him it needed a rebuild. I saw the paperwork and it almost 4K worth of work done and looks like the top end only was freshened up, the Supertrapps were added, and some carb work was done. The bike runs really well and I found he had a tollway pass mounted on the bike and if you ever go on the Illinois Tollway, it's like a raceway and I'm sure he put a lot of miles on it that way. The bike has 45K on it, but is super clean and I can't find any damage on it. Overall I'm please with my purchase and I ordered some new grips, tires, and a Yamaha throttle cable today at the dealer, to put on before winter hibernation. I'm seriously thinking of adding some forward controls to my bike as my hip and back aren't liking the position of the factory set up.

Good color, clean looking bike. Forward controls is a good idea. Maybe taller handlebars too. I've got both in mine and I'm 6'6". Love the extra room.

A handlebar:
I like a 'Superbike' bend. They're low, moderately-wide, all control pods fit.

Umm, just do your research according to dimensions and style. Dia of the tube is 22mm. Mine is what was called a mini apehanger when I bought it. View attachment 85540
I do my own research, in fact a lot of it, and was just asking personal opinions of what works for those who have went with different from what the factory did. Your bike looks really sweet, but those bars aren't the look I'm going for. I did just order my forward controls and hopefully they arrive soon and I'll install them as soon as I can. Thank you for posting the picture and you have a bike to be proud of.

If you happen to find a place that sells handlebars with double tubing on the visible parts, that would interest me too.

Great lookin' bike. Have a fantastic time with it. I have a 2001 that just rolled over 47,000 miles. I'm running Superbike bend bars (I think from Bike Master or something) and they're great. I had some Spiegler low rise bars for years, but they were a bit too wide and low for my liking. I just recently returned to my regular Superbike bars and love 'em.

For pegs, you may want to first try some forward highway pegs. Then if you feel like you'll never want the controls in the normal spot, then go for the full forward controls. I put on rearsets for my control set, and then often kick out my legs on the highway pegs when the shifting is done and I'm cruising.
*I put up some pics so you can see the bars and pegs.

Anyway, good luck with the new ride. Be safe. And add all kinds of stuff on it to 'make 'er yer own!' (heated grips are on the way for me. Not gonna stop ridin' for winter).
Vinnie

Attachments

• V 2.png
    V 2.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 2
  • V 3.png
    V 3.png
    632.3 KB · Views: 2
  • V1.png
    V1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • V4.png