my 92 is stuck in first gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1mcp

Reaction score
Could use a little help brothers, always enjoyed reading the posts on here but this is the first time for me so bear with me. Ready to go for a nice ride up Blue mtn. yesterday only bout 2 miles from home I'm pullin out from traffic light and can't shift to second gear. Pulled over and got it back into neutral with my hand drove it back home slowly in first gear but now it's just stuck and won't come out for me. Rolls freely with the clutch in and I tried to rock it outta gear but no luck. Not sure if it has any bearing but it has been poppin out of second gear for me last few weeks? Feelin like I lost an arm wakin up without my bike to ride. Thanks guys and Happy Father's day

I think maybe the shifter return spring either broke or lost it's temper to return the shifter to the middle position so it can engage the next gear. It happened to my FZR1000 & was an easy fix, no need to remove the engine or split the cases. My symptoms were just as you said. Waiting for brunch w/my 97 y.o. father in law, happy Fathers Day to all the dads!

Yes sir that's what I'm hoping for having it trailered to the garage later on today. Much rather be ridin on this father's day but is what it is. Long warm summer is a comin :)

Well this is a real lonely feelin my fellow max enthusiasts, got the former problem fixed with a new shift pin but I only put 400 miles on it and it's happened again. Took 3 weeks to get parts and fixed last time this really sucks. I'm thinking it has something to do with second gear poppin out all the time I tried to go from 1st to 3rd but sometimes it still popped out of second when tryin. Bike has 85k on it and wife is already whinin bout the $300 I just put in it. Guess it's time to let it go to someone who knows how to fix it up and sell it for what it's worth. Who wants it for a great bargain price? I bought it for $2500 in april put $500 in it so I think $1500 is fair price seeing as its not driving. Lehigh valley, Pa. if anyone is interested it's a sweet machine when fixed but I just can't afford it

Hard to get that much money for one with a bad trans. Did you try the updated segment or just the old version. The newer version can not lose the pin. It's about $60 in parts so not sure what you had to spend to get $300?

Sean

I don't know about the pin,but my first max(85 stage 7)lost 2nd so I had to do 1-3rd.mine would sometimes jam up but I could get it free with the shifter & it would be fine.in my case I think I would shift into 2.5 and get stuck in the middle somehow.a little force worked for me but use your own judgment on yours.

thanks for the help Sean the $300 was for parts and the labor for dude to take it apart and put it back together. I'll ask him exactly what he used to fix it before and tell him what you recommend really hate to get rid of it. Most fun I've had in many years and I'm sure few hundred bucks could be pulled outta my ass if he could fix it again. Addicting passion these Vmaxxes :)

The job is easy to do and you can do it yourself. There is a thread with detailed pictures on here too.

I'm gonna try and get the parts and get into it myself you made it sound so easy. Any recommendations on exactly what parts I'm gonna need or should I just take it apart and go from there? Used bikebandit.com last time for parts and better dealers out there? Man it's bout 85 and sunny wish I was on my bike, gotta get this beast runnnin again. I do appreciate your input my brotherhood, Mike

I'm gonna try and get the parts and get into it myself you made it sound so easy. Any recommendations on exactly what parts I'm gonna need or should I just take it apart and go from there? Used bikebandit.com last time for parts and better dealers out there? Man it's bout 85 and sunny wish I was on my bike, gotta get this beast runnnin again. I do appreciate your input my brotherhood, Mike

Send Sean an email. He most likely has the parts on hand, he will know what parts you need, his pricing is fair, and he actually has customer support if you have questions.

+1 to what Mike just suggested! Also, take a look at Youkonerdave's excellant post on updating the shift segment since this is essentially what you will be doing.
Link here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10938

Yes, I do have the parts on hand (and many others you'll find out too lol).

Back