My Clutch Is SLIPPING!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroBob1

Reaction score
I have a 1990 VMax and the clutch is slipping!
I'm looking for information on what parts are needed to do a GOOD CLUTCH OVERHAUL.
If any body knows the parts needed and possibly the Yamaha Part #'s
that would be greatly appreciated!:clapping:

I have a 1990 VMax and the clutch is slipping!
I'm looking for information on what parts are needed to do a GOOD CLUTCH OVERHAUL.
If any body knows the parts needed and possibly the Yamaha Part #'s
that would be greatly appreciated!:clapping:

I'm sure he'll chime in, but shoot Sean some email. He'll hook you up. just click on the banner below to go to his website.

B4 you go for a clutch overall, check your oil!

'Energy conserving' oils are known to have additive that make our clutches slip. Try Yamalube or Shell Rotella-T and see if it's still slipping, if yes then do a clutch service.

It'll only cost $10-15 to renew the oil..

Regardless of what the link says, know that you most likely will NOT have to replace the clutch plates (steel plates). As long as their thickness is within spec, and they are not warped, they can be reused. If you are going to reuse them your best bet is to have them media blasted. If you don't have the money or time or resources I would at the very least attack them with some scotch brite to remove any glazing or black buildup on them. I had my clutch apart yesterday and with only 5K on the odo there was a good deal of burnt up shtuff on the plates.

I can provide bead blasted steels (on exchange) if you end up buying a clutch "kit" from me. Use OEM fibers most of the time and do a DD clutch mod (do a search on this website for more info).

Sean

Looks like it. Need 8 fibers and 7 steels (though you steels can be bead blasted). Then a second spring and gasket for the cover.

Sean

Please, I need to know where to buy complete clutch maintenance kit (rubbers and spring stuff).
I found many offers on the web but cannot identify the one for my 1992 VMax
Many thanks

Well, probably one post about your clutch would have gotten you responses, but since you posted in three different threads, here is my response, again.

The clutches are the same for all years.

You are doing the clutch yourself? Try PCW in Schenectady NY. Call them, their website is very basic. Get the 'extra friction disc' set, using OEM Yamaha friction discs and gasket, which will come with a full set of friction discs, and an engine cover gasket. There is a half-friction disc in the OEM clutch which acts like a slipper clutch, you can replace it with a full-size stock friction disc to get a bit-more clutch area.

They also have a heavy-duty diaphragm spring for not much $ and it's still an easy pull at the lever, but will also assist in a better-performing clutch. http://www.pcwracing.net/

Let me know if you need someone local to do it, if you aren't working on your own bike.

Last edited:
Please, I need to know where to buy complete clutch maintenance kit (rubbers and spring stuff).
I found many offers on the web but cannot identify the one for my 1992 VMax
Many thanks

See attachment for details on how/what to do.
I'd steer away from the "DD" mod. As-in, double stacking 2 clutch plates. It grips but, you can break stuff.

Read this thread and the attached PDF. Once you figure out what you want to do, get in touch with Sean Morley by sending an email to [email protected]
He can get you all the parts you need as well as technical advise for a fair price.

Don't buy aftermarket plates. Go OEM

Attachments

• VMax - Into The Clutch - LvLHead.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Damn....short of someone coming out of your screen and doing it for you, everything you need to is right here on this forum.

Latest posts

Back