My Custom Vmax SS Seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
I have never done a seat, never worked with foam. But still pursued my custom seat. Wanted to extend the length, take out the hump, widen the flat portion, add height.

Length for room for adjustment back and forth and room to help support upper legs when shifting weight on rides off butt alone. Height to reduce the bend in my knees and ankles when riding. Width for more butt support and leg support. Flat for spreading out the pressure zone.

Started with a OEM seat with hardware without the push down gas tank cover piece. Formed and attached a pvc cover to it as a base for the extended foam. Afterwards it snaps down in place, snaps off. Plan to add seat support rod similar to a hood support rod for holding it up while gassing up. Shaved off the hump from the closed cell OEM foam. Cut the cut off piece in half and used on each side as wider support for top layer foam. Attached top layer 60 pound foam on top, added my own SS style to it.

Have to say the test ride with just an old cover thrown on top was a success. The added room on the end works great when you want to bring some of your legs up on top. Wider and spreading out the pressure zone is good too.

When covered and finished witl show picture in this thread.

Attachments

• Seat 1.jpg
    Seat 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Seat 2.jpg
    Seat 2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Seat 3.jpg
    Seat 3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Seat 4.jpg
    Seat 4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Seat 5.jpg
    Seat 5.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Seat 6.jpg
    Seat 6.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Seat 7.jpg
    Seat 7.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Seat 8.jpg
    Seat 8.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Seat 9.jpg
    Seat 9.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 180
Looking good man!!!! Always fun teaching yourself something new... well at the end when u look back on it... usually during it a few cus words come out. :rofl_200:

Final steps at home:
Use a wood rasp and smooth out all surfaces. Cover with 1/4 inch foam.

It is ready to be covered. Upholsterer will put plastic over the foam for water resistance.

The lines drawn on the foam are where the seams will be. Decided on redesigned OEM looking seams. The side seams end up where the passenger seat seam begins.

Next week will show it and how the SS seat looks on my bike.

Attachments

• Seat 10.jpg
    Seat 10.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Seat 11.jpg
    Seat 11.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 91
  • Seat 12.jpg
    Seat 12.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 92
Twisted, I did not. Will have to pick from upholsterer samples.

Always wondered if few inches higher will release stress on the knees... Actually that could end up really comfortable. It gives really ideas :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Not only knees but the foot/ankle joint. I relieve this by moving my foot away from the motor on the peg and angle the foot in a downward position. Not too much so that my toes would drag, about a 4:30 position. This put more natural position in the combo. Thinking being a little higher will help. We will see.

This is interesting. I'm 6'4" and a lot of the seat mods I see are to LOWER the height which is exactly what I don't want.
Who else is tall, and what seat do you have/prefer?

I like your work mate.
I'm doing a seat mod at the moment, but nowhere near as far along as you are.
Your shape is very interesting and I can wait to see the final product.

Most (even tall guys) like the seat lower and wider. This changes the center of gravity and makes you feel a part of the bike. The stock seat and taller seats like the Corbin make you feel like you are on top of the bike.

Sean

It is at the upholsterer. Pick a flat black covering. Looking forward to putting it on, taking pics, riding on it. My only thought is I should have gotten firmer foam. If that is the case, will change foam. Will be fairly easy since cover will be made.

I still want to see how you pull out the seat to gas up, hope you'll show it on pic :)
Waiting to see the final product, but I might copy your idea man :)

Most (even tall guys) like the seat lower and wider. This changes the center of gravity and makes you feel a part of the bike. The stock seat and taller seats like the Corbin make you feel like you are on top of the bike.

Sean
I appreciate your input Sean, and I have ridden on one of your seats. The quality was really nice, but the height too short for me. My buddy (5' 9" ish) LOVES it.
The stocker is not too bad if you go for short hops, but feels like your staddling a 8" diameter pipe. Not really a great experience after about one tank of fuel.

Latest posts

Back