1st Gen V-Max My Dream Bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerkaren1

Reaction score
VMax Year
Just bought this 2000 lovely. The previous owner had all the original lights and wot not so I'll get them back on. Forward controls to go on and I'm getting the saddle scooped out (cause I'm a short arse). Looking forward to next season. I've been riding a 2015 Suzuki M800 Intruder (for long trips).IMG-20210927-WA0001.jpg

You might consider removing any radiator 'vanity screen' to improve cooling. They block airflow. Do yourself a favor and shoot some lubricant on your sidestand switch's shaft, and work it back & forth a few times, that sticking can prevent your bike from starting. Same goes for the starter button, shoot some in-there too, same reason.

Do the 'crimp-fix' (solder a brass crimp electrical connector) to increase voltage in your electrical system. (3) Crimp fix done | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

You can use the 'advanced search' in the upper right where it says 'search,' click on that to get to 'advanced search' to look for info on any topic which comes to-mind on the bike. It's happened to someone on-here before it happened to you. No, you don't need to use the member's screen name to get results, a subject is good enough. (3) electrical connectors | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Inspect the electrical system's stator plug on the left side of the bike. Don't be surprised if you see brown discoloration of the 3-wire nylon plug, that means you have overheating/a poor connection. Cleaning each M-F connector to shiny metal, and a smear of dielectric grease on each connector helps to restore AC output from the stator to the regulator/rectifier (R/R). Some solder these wires to eliminate the connectors, there is no particular order to the wires as long as 3 (stator) go to 3 (R/R). Use good heat-shrink tubing placed before you solder!

Info for new owners, read the questions answered post, and download the factory service manual, and print-out a copy for your shop, place it into a 3-ring binder. You will be using it frequently.

(3) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

VMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg.jpgVMax electrical crimp.01.jpeg.jpg

Here are three people you probably may contact for parts or service. I've used all of them, and they all provide you with cost-effective ways to fix/repair your bike, and are sources for used/new parts too:

Sean Morley, who has a Morley's Muscle facebook presence [email protected]

CaptainKyle [email protected] lots of used parts, and he is I believe a Parts Unlimited dealer too.

dannymax for all things carburetors [email protected]

Last edited:
You might consider removing any radiator 'vanity screen' to improve cooling. They block airflow. Do yourself a favor and shoot some lubricant on your sidestand switch's shaft, and work it back & forth a few times, that sticking can prevent your bike from starting. Same goes for the starter button, shoot some in-there too, same reason.

Do the 'crimp-fix' (solder a brass crimp electrical connector) to increase voltage in your electrical system. (3) Crimp fix done | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

You can use the 'advanced search' in the upper right where it says 'search,' click on that to get to 'advanced search' to look for info on any topic which comes to-mind on the bike. It's happened to someone on-here before it happened to you. No, you don't need to use the member's screen name to get results, a subject is good enough. (3) electrical connectors | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Inspect the electrical system's stator plug on the left side of the bike. Don't be surprised if you see brown discoloration of the 3-wire nylon plug, that means you have overheating/a poor connection. Cleaning each M-F connector to shiny metal, and a smear of dielectric grease on each connector helps to restore AC output from the stator to the regulator/rectifier (R/R). Some solder these wires to eliminate the connectors, there is no particular order to the wires as long as 3 (stator) go to 3 (R/R). Use good heat-shrink tubing placed before you solder!

Info for new owners, read the questions answered post, and download the factory service manual, and print-out a copy for your shop, place it into a 3-ring binder. You will be using it frequently.

(3) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

View attachment 80302View attachment 80304

Here are three people you probably may contact for parts or service. I've used all of them, and they all provide you with cost-effective ways to fix/repair your bike, and are sources for used/new parts too:

Sean Morley, who has a Morley's Muscle facebook presence [email protected]

CaptainKyle [email protected] lots of used parts, and he is I believe a Parts Unlimited dealer too.

dannymax for all things carburetors [email protected]

Thanks, great info, I've already copied all the frequently asked questions and have bought a manual. I'm lucky my other half is a great mech/electrical guy! We've discovered shrink wrap which includes the solder. We've found them great and handier than soldering and then shrink wrap, no failures yet. He has a classic 1500 Intruder at the minute and it needed lots of electrical work when we got it. He's tutoring me and I'm doing most servicing and bits on my other bike. I'm looking forward to getting started on this baby! I'm based in Northern Ireland so will have to try UK suppliers first (if we can get UK folk to post, bloody brexit)! lol thanks again! Great forum!

Not seen shrouded shocks like you have fitted.

N.I. is part of UK, I'm surprised you are having problems with mail orders from companies, I could understood if you were in ROI..... very strange.

PS welcome, nice to hear from someone this side of the pond.

Just bought this 2000 lovely. The previous owner had all the original lights and wot not so I'll get them back on. Forward controls to go on and I'm getting the saddle scooped out (cause I'm a short arse). Looking forward to next season. I've been riding a 2015 Suzuki M800 Intruder (for long trips).View attachment 80296
Welcome to the club! I like the black rims, same as my '97, and the exhaust is sweet, hopefully no M.O.T. issues there. Does this have V-Boost?
Not sure about putting on forward controls if you're a bit vertically challenged. I have stock pegs on my Gen 1 and end up putting my boots rearward onto the passenger pegs while cruising. Going with rear sets is on my To Do list. V-Max does not seem conducive to feet forward riding to me..... I owned a HD Wide Glide with forward controls for 16 years, but it was designed for that style set up and had pull back risers with buckhorn bars. Enjoy!

Not seen shrouded shocks like you have fitted.

N.I. is part of UK, I'm surprised you are having problems with mail orders from companies, I could understood if you were in ROI..... very strange.

PS welcome, nice to hear from someone this side of the pond.
Yes, it's this Northern Ireland protocol. We've had some companies sending no problem. They do the extra paperwork. Others obviously think the bother isn't worth it. Lots of companies have just decided not to trade with us. I have a friend in Wales who will post stuff to me lol I get it sent to her. It's very frustrating! Previous owner put the shrouded shocks on. They're pheumatic, not riding much at the minute so we'll see how they are!

I'm based in Northern Ireland so will have to try UK suppliers first (if we can get UK folk to post, bloody brexit)!

I'm in England and for OE parts Fowlers are probably the best bet, generic parts try Yambits or Wemoto, or if you want some tasty goodies then Exactrep. What they are like getting stuff to NI I don't know.
Of course there are EU vendors which may be worthwhile considering if delivery from the above is problematical.

If you don't like the shocks then you could consider slightly shorter rears and lower the front to match.
Don't go too low as the wheel can hit the radiator under extreme braking.

I'm in England and for OE parts Fowlers are probably the best bet, generic parts try Yambits or Wemoto, or if you want some tasty goodies then Exactrep. What they are like getting stuff to NI I don't know.
Of course there are EU vendors which may be worthwhile considering if delivery from the above is problematical.

If you don't like the shocks then you could consider slightly shorter rears and lower the front to match.
Don't go too low as the wheel can hit the radiator under extreme braking.
Thanks, good info. I'll see how my scooped out seat goes before I change the shocks but yes it'll be an option. I just like as much of my foot down for moving around when I'm stopped/stopping. It's a bit heavier/different weight distribution from my Intruder but I'll get used to it in sure. Thanks again.

That is the last thing in the world he wants to do

That is the last thing he needs to do to his MAX! Would you beat your favorite dog?
Oh ya, don't ever do a burnout .on a freaking vmax.
It's not made for that.

Welcome to the club! I like the black rims, same as my '97, and the exhaust is sweet, hopefully no M.O.T. issues there. Does this have V-Boost?
Not sure about putting on forward controls if you're a bit vertically challenged. I have stock pegs on my Gen 1 and end up putting my boots rearward onto the passenger pegs while cruising. Going with rear sets is on my To Do list. V-Max does not seem conducive to feet forward riding to me..... I owned a HD Wide Glide with forward controls for 16 years, but it was designed for that style set up and had pull back risers with buckhorn bars. Enjoy!
Hiya, I'm used to feet forward and tried a Vmax with forward pegs before i bought mine , needed to make sure .(would have bought it but the engine had a nasty rattle). I have also got a dodgy hip lol so feet forward feels good for me. It's been through MOT with the pipes already so hopefully all good (I have the originals) It sounds sweeeeeet! There are some baffles in. The previous owner powder coated the rims, did a good job. He looked after it. Yep, has V-Boost. I'm a fan of the look, not a racer!

Thanks, good info. I'll see how my scooped out seat goes before I change the shocks but yes it'll be an option. I just like as much of my foot down for moving around when I'm stopped/stopping. It's a bit heavier/different weight distribution from my Intruder but I'll get used to it in sure. Thanks again.
I probably don't need to tell you this but when you get the seat re-profiled get a gel inset. With less padding it will be harder on your derriere which may be accentuated with the feet forward pegs.

Latest posts

Back