My Dyna 3000 and Rev Limiter??????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Late model Dyna 3000. I've got my rev limiter set at 9,000. Last night was the first time I've pushed my 94 to that. It's been mainly the bike I take when my Wife can go along. Seemed to me that it cut the available power at 9,000 RPM but kept climbing. I thought the Dyna was a more positive limiter than this? Give me some input from others who are running them. Maybe mine is defective???

Thanx

I have mine set to 9K as well but haven't tried it out. I'll test it out on my way home from work.

Seemed to me that it cut the available power at 9,000 RPM but kept climbing.

If I understand you correctly, it cut the ignition (thus no power) but the revs kept rising?
How high did they go?

Bare in mind that the flywheel will have a certain amount of momentum so it won't stop at 9K but keep on speeding up and overshoot the rev limit you have set.
The faster that the flywheel is being accelerated then the more it will overshoot.

I tried it, felt like just before you have to set the fuel switch to reserve.

Mine didn't feel like it was out of gas just felt like the HP was being limited.. I was pushing through the limiter slowly, not into the throttle hard. I wanted to see where it would stop me from raising the revs. Felt like it would just run on up to the Ozone but much slower than normal. I expected an abrupt stop and it didn't happen.

You will not get an abrupt stop, it just cuts out the ignition intermitently,,,,its telling you to shift now.....just like maleko stated....its like running out of gas feeling.....
but if you still keep the gas on it , it will shorten the pulses so you will get some tach climb.

All my sportbikes are the same, my FZ1 will still pull through the limiter, it just feels like your running on 2 cylinders.
Yours is working right...you just expected more......
If it shut the bike right down, you would have already lost the race.

If it's a soft limiter it just cuts out one or two cylinders at a time and rotates which cylinder it cuts to prevent buildup of unburnt gas intead of completely cutting spark to all cylinders. It will still increase in rpm if you have it in neutral or maybe 1st, but obviously much more slowly and wouldn't make enough power to increase rpms in 2nd gear or higher. Ideal would be a soft limiter at 9000rpm and a hard limit (cuts spark completely) at like 9500rpm in case of a missed shift or break in the drivetrain.

Thanx, I have a Daytona Twin Tech ignition on my 1200 Sportster. It's totally programmable for Curve and Rev Limit. When it hits the rev limit, it kills the ignition till it drops in RPM and will continuously bounce back and forth but never go very far above the limit setting even in first gear. It's abrupt and tells me "Duh, Shift Stupid"....I was expecting the same thing from the Dyna. OK, I can get used to Gentle Persuasion Too....:rofl_200:

:ummm::confused2::ummm: I need to do more testing and maybe a video so I can watch and listen to it over and over??????

when i was testing my shift light (which wasn't working) my dyna came on and i wasn't expecting it, felt like i was running out of gas like mark said. and yea it 'sounds' like that but less like a weedwhacker in a tin can.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: Difference between 9,500 rpm and 18,000 rpm is the weed whacker sound...

Back