My European 102hp has more torque than an American 145hp?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a quick look at the parts fisch there are three different cams (prefix 1NL, 1FK and 2WF) and there are some differences by market. I note that in some examples the throttle slide is also different for the same year.
what that doesn't help with is what the actual differences are

If you feel like having a more detailed trawl have a look here.
Checked it thanks, wow that's a spare parts Wikipedia there!

To be clearer, I should have added in the calculations above that 2 Pi is 360 degrees rotation. I.E. consider 1 rotation of a wheel.
Thanks for this, I was wondering that if peak torque is reached lower rpm, than as it usually is, the curve will also begin earlier.

BTW I'm bothering you all because I'd like to know from someone if

The 145hp is known to be stronger in high rpm but softer in lower, compared to European

I'd like to sell mine and buy this one, but it gives me doubts how it's weaker in throttle response at 2-3.000 rpm

Can you take pics of both bikes final drives and send them here on forum? I reckon they have different gear ratios, there was discussion of that not so long ago.. Maybe tech experts can verify this. Longer gear ratio would definitely feel more sluggish, especially if you don't know about it :)
Yeah you nailed which my doubt was.
It could be mine european gives more push feeling at gas open in low rpm because ratio is longer, but unsure because different is huge, so I'm going mad if maybe this 145hp has something wrong in low rpm response or not.

What should I take pic to, in order to show ratio you're asking? ( sorry don't know?

Yes, althought it's not a problem because it doesn't happen when I keep my hands on the handlebars.

I should mention my Vmax had dangerous wobbles and weaves before I relace the steering bearing and adjusted thm properly.
Good, so it's an issue that can just appear or not.
It is not representative of a chassis issue right?

Usually, US model vehicles have lower final drive ratio to cover long distances while keeping the rpm lower. And European models of same vehicle has just a bit higher final drive ratio and hence give bit better acceleration but less top speed. And i heard it is done considering the distances a vehicle usually has to travel. In US interstate highways even SUV's and pickups go on speed limit with rpm which is bit lower than of European models on same speed.
Plus, most european cities road does not require as much speed or distance as a canadian or US city allows.

What are your thought on this?

That seems to be the case, US has longer/higher gear ratio so it should _decrease_ acceleration and _increase_ top speed. I was totally wrong, its something else. But both of these bikes were not stock? Only 145 hp was stock?

A bit more information for the anoraks as to what cams/ slides are fitted to which year and market.
Due to the different source of data (Fowlers for non US and PartsFish for US bikes) the model ID differs.

If anyone can identify what the actual differences are between the various parts and let me know I'll add this data to the file.

Attachments

• Cam and slide differences by year and model.pdf
    419.7 KB · Views: 14
Good, so it's an issue that can just appear or not.
It is not representative of a chassis issue right?

My two bikes that do it will do it every time I coast down past 45-40MPH range.

It is not at all representative of a chassis issue.

I'm not sure why these two bikes exibit the wobble...since the steering bearings are adjusted properly, and the tires are balanced... I imagine the tires are slightly out of round or something like that.

Usually, US model vehicles have lower final drive ratio to cover long distances while keeping the rpm lower. And European models of same vehicle has just a bit higher final drive ratio and hence give bit better acceleration but less top speed. And i heard it is done considering the distances a vehicle usually has to travel. In US interstate highways even SUV's and pickups go on speed limit with rpm which is bit lower than of European models on same speed.
Plus, most european cities road does not require as much speed or distance as a canadian or US city allows.

This definitely makes sense, but I've been reading in several sources that european have longer drive to compensate the 1000 rpm less of red zone compared to 9.500 of the American.
Nevertheless what makes me mad is that mine compared to the 145hp seems a turbodiesel car compared to a Honda vtec
The 145hp is crazy from 5.000 to red, oil light on every gear, but at throttle open is so so delicate and progressive
I'd like to buy this and replace mine but this stops me from

Anyone drove them both knows if really 145 is softer in 2-4.000 rpm range?

That seems to be the case, US has longer/higher gear ratio so it should _decrease_ acceleration and _increase_ top speed. I was totally wrong, its something else. But both of these bikes were not stock? Only 145 hp was stock?
145 totally stock, kept as new
Mine '91 carbs cylinders reworked for full opening and maybe also carb restriction on diaphragms removed (done back in 1997...)

My two bikes that do it will do it every time I coast down past 45-40MPH range.

It is not at all representative of a chassis issue.

I'm not sure why these two bikes exibit the wobble...since the steering bearings are adjusted properly, and the tires are balanced... I imagine the tires are slightly out of round or something like that.
145h owner also told me about tyres, but wobbles also at 40kmh
Don't think tyre shape may affect that strongly at such a low speed
I think about what Skrimps posted regarding bounce test and tightening
Dis you check that already and still wobbles?

A bit more information for the anoraks as to what cams/ slides are fitted to which year and market.
Due to the different source of data (Fowlers for non US and PartsFish for US bikes) the model ID differs.

If anyone can identify what the actual differences are between the various parts and let me know I'll add this data to the file.
Such a cool file you uploaded thanks, I have to try and trace back to what those codes mean in terms of specs

Every engine w/o variable valve timing has cam position, chosen to be best for certain RPM. Sport engines of same volume have less power at lower RPM.

145h owner also told me about tyres, but wobbles also at 40kmh
Don't think tyre shape may affect that strongly at such a low speed
I think about what Skrimps posted regarding bounce test and tightening
Dis you check that already and still wobbles?
I bought super cheap V-rubber tires, they were NOT round! tires definitely can be a reason for wobbling

Hope so, this would solve 2nd doubt I have on this bike, but main one is lowend torque

Every engine w/o variable valve timing has cam position, chosen to be best for certain RPM. Sport engines of same volume have less power at lower RPM.
Yes sure, was just am example to explain the difference among the 2 bikes
Mine pushes strong as you just open throttle, the 145hp really starts with moderate push, but literally eats rpm from 6 to 9.5 in notime

How about if you leave choke on just a little? I had full power -97, and push was anything but moderate at all rpms, though I didnt have anything to compare 😄

This is completely incorrect.
The US Vmax has a 3.66 gear ratio in the rear diff while many Euro bikes have a 3.33 ratio. That is .3 tenths of a second SLOWER in the quarter mile in our testing with the 3.33 ratio (also found in the 86-93 Venture diffs).

Latest posts

Back