My first ride on the Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
Well it wasn't easy but I got the Max running and took it for my first ride. WOW!!:th_image003: This freakin thing flys.

A few things I noticed
The front end is "heavy" doing slow riding like getting it out of the shop and moving it around but goes away while riding.

Either the clutch was slipping or the back tire was spinning (didn't feel like the tire but don't know)

The clutch master cylinder leaks like a sieve guess I need a new gasket.

Overall I am glad I pulled the trigger on this it is a BIG difference between this and the Shovelhead but it's a good difference just makes me look like I've never ridden before.

Later
Duke

Sounds like you're discovering the FUN Max factor :cool:))

If your front end feels heavy check your tire pressures, although it will feel heavier than other bikes just 'cos the whole beast is.

Rear tire spinning is VERY common on Vmax yay. Especially more true if you run a crap soapy tire like a Dunlop or Bridgestone..

Clutch M/C are easy and pretty cheap to replace, do that ASAP as brake fluid will destroy any paintwork it meets! Sean Morley usually has spares and runs a good part exchange program too, or fleaBay's yer friend.

Clutch can slip too, but if it does more often than not it's due to the 'wrong' oil being used - anything 'energy conserving' with friction modifiers additives will make it do that.
Of course, a very worn clutch spring could do that too, and many fit a clutch mod such a 'double-D' which makes it stiffer at the lever but grabs better (stronger) at the engine end.

For the longest time after I got my Max I would regularly burn the back tire on hard accel's and not even know it. One day someone I was riding with asked if I knew I had trails of white smoke rolling off the rear tire going up the on ramp to the highway. Honestly it's really, really easy to light up the rear wheel, yet the bike is heavy and stable enough you barely notice it other than the motor suddenly spinning up.

Well it wasn't easy but I got the Max running and took it for my first ride. WOW!!:th_image003: This freakin thing flys.

A few things I noticed
The front end is "heavy" doing slow riding like getting it out of the shop and moving it around but goes away while riding.

Either the clutch was slipping or the back tire was spinning (didn't feel like the tire but don't know)

The clutch master cylinder leaks like a sieve guess I need a new gasket.

Overall I am glad I pulled the trigger on this it is a BIG difference between this and the Shovelhead but it's a good difference just makes me look like I've never ridden before.

Later
Duke

If youve owned a shovel,..then your already a pretty good wrench.lol.
I ..er, fondly remember my shovel years. It was a love- hate relationship. I honestly some days still miss it. What year and model did you have ?

I still own my 72 FLH as far as I'm concerned the max will outrun it but never out class it. The Shovel is the reason I had no fear of getting an older bike but there is alot more to this thing than a shovel.

Here's a pic not the best but will have to do.

DSC02779.jpg

Later
Duke

Nice FLH. The V Max and the FLH are as different as night and day.:biglaugh:
Different moods demand a variety of one or the other. Welcome to the Dark Side......:clapping:

Nice FLH. The V Max and the FLH are as different as night and day.:biglaugh:

No doubt. I have to say I love all bikes I just love being in the wind. I'm not one of these people who ride a Harley and have bought into the "attitude" or "mystique" that is the new Harley rider. I have owned all types makes and models of bikes guess that's why I can appreciate the Vmax as much as my Shovel for what each is. Funny I will wave at anyone with knees in the breeze and when I'm on my Harley I get the wierdest looks from guys on crotch rockets some will wave some just look.

Ya'll have fun
Later
Duke

Funny I will wave at anyone with knees in the breeze and when I'm on my Harley I get the wierdest looks from guys on crotch rockets some will wave some just look.

I hear ya Duke!! I always wave at anyone I had the time to notice (miss a few at warp speed lol), whatever they're riding, and always enjoy grinning at the ones with the weird looks or attitude.. :clapping:

Back