My first Vmax (1999 with random mods)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willybeen

Reaction score
So I picked up a Carbon Fiber edition 1999 Vmax with around ~23k miles this weekend. First impressions are it sounds awesome and is fairly comfy compared to the SS bikes I've owned in the past. I rode it from Tampa to West palm area (~200 miles) and I averaged 24.7 mph.... thats my only gripe with the bike, is that common fuel economy for a 70 mph trek with virtually no horseplay?

The bike has some mods done to it, from an outside and uneducated with vmax perspective I can clearly see

* Supertrapp Cone Slip ons
* Take off the tank cover and there are 4 K+N Cone filters
* Off of the carbs is a vent that goes down to the oil cap
* Theres a little 3 position switch on the right handlebar controls (my guess is the T-Boost mod (the first 2 positions do nothing, the forward most, third position, makes the idle real rough, almost like its cammed) To be honest, I dont notice any difference with the switch in any of the positions under acceleration or just riding and I've been flogging this thing from light to light.

Based on these mods, is it likely that the bike has the Stage 7 jet kit that appears to come with the Pod filters and the crankcase vent? Is there an easy way to check? Any recommendations for a first time vmax owner? I ordered new tires and pulled the middle gear cover off to fix a slight oil seapage.... hopefully the yamaha dealer will stock the gasket. I kind of want to ride it?

Lastly progressive has full coverage for it at around 250 annually? Any other insurers that I should look into? (My ZX10r was around the same amount and it was significantly faster and more expensive.... so what gives lol)

Thanks in advance

Sounds like it needs tuned at 24mpg and no horseplay! If it has the individual filters and crankcase vent, it probably has the stage 7....I think another way to check is to look for the air correctors, or see if it has adjustable needles. Hopefully someone with more stage 7 knowledge will chime in shortly. Also that might be the crappy gas mileage problem, stage 7 (I think) should only be used on a full exhaust system....not just slip ons.

congrats and welcome to the brotherhood and your new addiction. :).
stage 7 is advertised to be compatible with slip ons, but of course, one can only reap the full potential with a full up exhaust setup. it's highly likely that you've got a stage 7 because of the indy pods and the crankcase vent. without previous knowledge of what the carb mouth looks like without air correctors, i'm not sure one would be able to know if some were glued in or not. but most definately, if you pulled the needles, you can further confirm the existence of the S7 kit. lemme go hunt down a post i gave to a member who was wondering the same as you....

hehehehe insurance, now that's an animal that needs to butchered and fed to the Mod Monkey.

I agree with 06MAXIMUS, it's not tuned well at all. With only a little horseplay I average about 35 mpg in town. When I'm on a long ride I average between 40 and 42 mpg. And mine is not stock either.

Actually I wouldn't suggest pulling things apart just yet to check what's in the carbs as there's a little bit of work involved if you haven't done it before.
Your bike does have a stage 7 setup on it with the filters and crank hose to attest to that.
As others have alerted to your exhaust would be the culprit, a stage 7 will never work properly on oem headers with any form of slip ons.
I'd suggest biffing the exhaust system to a full exhaust like a Kerker for example and THEN re-evaluate your carb tuning and mileage etc.

Are the needles easy to put back in?

Everytime i breathe on a carb the bike has issues lol

Go see Steve at Under Pressure and listen to what he says. If you aren't mechanically-inclined, then trust your bike to someone who is.

As is-said, "if you don't know mechanical repair (to work-on your bike yourself), then be sure you know your mechanic!"

From the equipment you describe, you need an aftermarket full exhaust w/bigger header pipes and the extractor-effect a 4/1 gives you. Look in the "parts for sale" thread and you should find CaptainKyle's listing for a refurbished Kerker 4/1. Sean Morley may have some used complete systems too, (the "Morley's Muscle" banner ad at the top of the forum page). Or, delight in the often inaccurate descriptions on eBay. Caveat emptor!

See my thread about needles in the how-to forum. Shows how that all comes apart, with pictures. Even if you've never done it before it only takes a few min.

24 is very low. 35-40 is where you should be at for normal riding, so sounds like it's running much too rich. Drop the needles, larger PAJ2s, smaller mains, or maybe a combo of all of the above. An a/f sniffer on a dyno is the ticket here. Talk to Sean about your setup and he can probably recommend a starting point for jetting.

Stg7 is kind of a waste with slip ons. I'm sure it can be tuned in to run ok, but any power gains will be minimal.

Like every one says, you should get better millage.
I usually get 90 before the reserve light comes on highway cruising at 85...about 120 bone dry and pushing....:bang head:

Pods and vent tube does not guarantee stage 7.
You have to run air correctors to run the pods.
I run the k&n pods, air correctors, vent tube and puke can from the stage 7, stage 1 springs and needles.

But, if you run the stage 7 needles, you may have the full kit in.
But...also why would you be running t...boost with the 7, they usually run full boost?

Are you running the t boost on a regular basis? I wonder if tboost's over-carburation is contributing to the poor gas mileage...Guys?

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Back