My First VMAX, Carb question. (I know, I know..)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewTech

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right category, or if I need to post on a "new members" thread first, but I'll see what responses I get, and adjust accordingly if needed. I thank you for your patience while I learn this new forum.

I've been riding and working on bikes for about 10+years, had all kinds. Meanstreak, goldwing, st1300, hayabusa, bandit, concours 1400, zx10r, etc, and rebuilt the engine on a Triump speed triple, and I teach new Peterbilt Technicians how to work on diesel engines, elec, etc, so I like to think I know my way around a shop, I've just always had issues with carburetors in the past..

Here's my story, I bought an '01 vmax 1200 a few months ago in a cranks/no start condition. The previous owner replaced the starter clutch, destroyed the crank flywheel so they replaced it. Long story short, it was from the wrong year so the crank position tabs didn't align with the CPS, so there was no start. That was fun to try and figure out, let me tell ya. So I got spark sorted, and the bike would fire but run pretty poorly. I did a compression test, and the numbers were all over the place, but too low in general. Another long story short, and the engine is all back together with new rings. Another issue sorted. It runs alright now with the choke on, but dies with throttle, or without choke.

Here's my current issue: When I was trying to sort the no start I pulled the carbs to thoroughly clean them. One of the carb mix screws got stripped out and the body was damaged trying to get it out. Cyl #3 I believe, Right side- front. I bought a set of used carbs from another vmax (2002 I was told), and since the rest of the carbs were clean, I just switched out that single unit. All jets, hardware were swapped over. I recently did the "shotgun" cleaning method (just for kicks), and noticed that the Main Jet Air Bleed, on the replacement carb was different from the others.. The replacement set seems to have an actual jet installed, where the originals have just an open hole. I am confused with this, and I cannot see an obvious way to get the jets out/swapped over. I would just replace the entire set with the replacements and try that, but the idle mix screws are stripped out on those as well.... So I foresee issues with that.

I suppose my question is, should there be a jet there, or not, and if so, can they be swapped out. This bike seems to have had quite the past, and i'm not sure what all is original, or what has been done to this thing. I'm just ready to get it on the road, and see what she can do!
I'll see if I can post some pictures so you all can judge for yourselves.
The jet circled in green is from the original set, and the jet circled in blue is from the replacement set.

Thank you all for any help you may provide, and as I have been a forum lurker for a while now, I'm sure the pros will have some help for me!

Attachments

• Main Jet Air Bleed ORIGINAL.jpg
    Main Jet Air Bleed ORIGINAL.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Main Jet Air Bleed REPLACEMENT.jpg
    Main Jet Air Bleed REPLACEMENT.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 32
If running stock air box, no air restrictor (right picture) should be there. That restrictor is for stage 7 setup with individual air pods. Those jets are usually just glued in and are fairly easy to remove.

Mark

If running stock air box, no air restrictor (right picture) should be there. That restrictor is for stage 7 setup with individual air pods. Those jets are usually just glued in and are fairly easy to remove.

Mark

Thank you for your help maleko89, I'll see if I can yank that thing out of there today.

You can use a self-tapping screw and yank it out.

Mark

78D35A17-FD98-4960-B239-C69D19B96425.jpegWorked like a charm. Found all 4 V boost boots torn while pulling the carbs back off. so that’s next on the list.
Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back