My Gears of War paint job on my 97 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratt1eHead

Reaction score
I've been working on this paint job for the last 2 months. I have most of the tins finished, just have to do the stripping on the rear fender yet. This is my first airbrush work in 18 years. Let me know what you think, good and bad. I used the Duplicolor Paintshop system. Candy Base, Candy Red, Black, Silver, Grey Primer, and Clear Coat. Also I have some pics of my rear inner fender for the CBR mod. It's a bit different than most, but the additional pieces that I have welded on act as trim, and I am not using any double sided tape to attach the light to the bike.

Attachments

• VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (6).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (6).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 146
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (2).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (2).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 137
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (1).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (1).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 128
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (5).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (5).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 137
  • VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (16).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (16).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 178
  • VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (9).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (9).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 138
  • VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (7).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (7).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 165
  • VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (4).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (4).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 169
  • VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (5).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (5).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 137
  • VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (8).jpg
    VMAX Gears of War Paint Job (8).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 166
I'm really digging the work on the scoops although I have no idea what Gears Of War is. Computer game I'm guessing. I would like to know more about the fender mod idea. I don't see what's going on, a hugger of some sort? I see it uses a modded rear inner fender support. Any links to this mod or better images of a finished work?

Gears of War is an XBOX 360 game series, with the first one coming out in 2006. Awesome 3rd person shooter and sci-fi story. There are a few books out now that expand on the characters and the world. The basic CBR taillight is a sticky at the top of this forum, I just modified the way it has been done with the mounting of the light to the inner fender... I think the last pic is with the light mounted in the fender on the bike... of course this is before I started all of the paint work... I live in Michigan so I won't have the rear fender complete until the spring. I don't have heat in my garage. I'll post some pics of the fender being hacked apart.

Attachments

• VMAX CBR rear fender mod (15).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (15).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 66
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (14).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (14).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 66
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (13).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (13).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 63
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (11).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (11).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 68
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (9).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (9).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 67
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (10).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (10).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for the follow up posting. Explains it all. That taillight really is "smoothie" style and cleans up the tail nicely. I was intrigued by Exactrep's rear hugger idea and thought that this might be a take on that. You're making a real one of a kind Max. Keep it up.

Last edited:
18 years hey? no 'ring rust' for you. very nice paint job. your choice in colours is gorgeous, i like the silver on the red. what red is that specifically? paint code wise? im looking to get a 'true flame' job done for a separate tank for Mjolnir and think that would be the nicest shade of red.

awesome job!

peace,
evan.....

Yea it's been 18 years! You don't want to see my practice runs :)
The paint I used is Duplicolor Paintshop system (lacquer based)... I used the Candy Red over the Candy base. I also used the Candy Red over some of the Silver and Black as well, to give everything more depth. I have a lot of layers to make it all look organic, I even incorporated the Yamaha tuning fork symbol into the organic feel also. I learned a lot of things doing this, do's and don'ts, how the hell am I going to do this or that... but it's been a real fun experience and I can't wait to ride her in the spring. Thanks for all of the comments. Any other questions feel free to ask.

One thing on the Candy colors... the more coats or layers, the deeper to color... I have multiple layers of the red then I sprayed patches of silver here and there, then went over it again with the candy red, rinse and repeat a few different times. Any other paint job that I do after this is going to be cake... I'm working on a medusa painting and some evil angels drawings for bikes.

I like the fabbed bracket for the light, someone w/some minimal metalworking skills should be able to use that as a pattern to duplicate it.

Presently I have a spare rear fender & a CBR light awaiting installation, I think this is a good way to do it. I like your bracket better than the double-sided tape.

Your paint is great, why did you stop back-then? No worries about seeing another like yours on the other side of the intersection!

I know Taylor is the Detroit Airport, I had relatives in Taylor. The frst time I flew into Detroit, in '68, I was heading out of the airport on I-94 West, and saw my first MI motorcycle rider, he was on a Triumph, and had his helmet strapped to his knee. "Strange," I thought. When I got over to the west side of the state, my destination, I found-out the state helmet law was being circumvented by people who were strapping-on their helmets, just not to their heads! Later legislation fixed the 'loophole.'

I've been working on this paint job for the last 2 months. I have most of the tins finished, just have to do the stripping on the rear fender yet. This is my first airbrush work in 18 years. Let me know what you think, good and bad. I used the Duplicolor Paintshop system. Candy Base, Candy Red, Black, Silver, Grey Primer, and Clear Coat. Also I have some pics of my rear inner fender for the CBR mod. It's a bit different than most, but the additional pieces that I have welded on act as trim, and I am not using any double sided tape to attach the light to the bike.

Looks really great! :thumbs up:

Carb covers next ? :D

Carb covers are next... I have some COG Dog Tags that are going to be the perfect fit to mount on the covers... here is a pic of the tags.

Attachments

• real_GOW2_COG-Tag.jpg
    real_GOW2_COG-Tag.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 37
On the rear inner fender the two brackets that hang down are for the license plate, the thin crossbar acts as trim as do the flat pieces on each side... without those pieces it just looked like something was missing, there was an odd gap.

Attachments

• VMAX CBR rear fender mod (5).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (5).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 24
  • VMAX CBR rear fender mod (4).jpg
    VMAX CBR rear fender mod (4).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 23
About the Michigan Helmet Law... it's no more. It was revoked in the spring of 2012. But, I have been riding since about 12 years old, wore a helmet then, and I wear a helmet now. For some reason, I like my brain!

That's a cool paintjob, I love the detail and the stripes on the scoops

All you need now are a few clips on one side to hold this
16gm5.jpg

Latest posts

Back