My local Yamaha dealer...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
So I went into my local yamaha dealer today to buy an air filter / oil filter / plugs for my max...

I asked the guy at the counter for the above mentioned items. I told him my ride is a 97 V-Max.

So he started clicking away on his computer.. and continues to click... and click...

I lose interest and walk away to look at some gloves they had on display.

After a long time, he leans over and asks "is that a motorcycle?" :th_12:

I ended up just buying the spark plugs.

I realize he was the guy at the counter - but it didn't inspire me to have any work done there ever.

Anyway - where do you folks buy your air filters and oil filters? I think I am going to order a K&N as Yamaha wanted 70 bones for the stock paper filter.
I'd rather recharge a K&N.

I also forgot to add: When I told him it was a motorcycle, he looked through some books - and then asked me to point to the airfilter from the exploded mechanical diagram.
________
Honda NSR50R

Last edited:
My local Yamaha dealer owned a '85 Vmax and had it for 10 years, and the parts guy is his buddy. He knows the Vmax, lucky for me! I don't buy very much from him but I make a point to buy a oil filter and gasket every time I get a tire mounted. My brother gets a better deal on the mounting by about 12 bucks, but to get a shinko through him it would cost me ~$40 more for just the tire!
If your Yamaha dealer is a multi-line dealer that may be the reason why the parts guy is asking because Yamaha also make a Vmax snowmobile and a Vmax outboard motor. :confused2:

No dealerships up here next to Fargo ND know the VMAX, I had mine worked on and it was a horror story. Sean had to fix my carbs they were so bad.

I bought all the tools I will need ( with the exception of a lift ) and with the help of everyone on this great forum I will do my own work.

NEVER again will a dealership touch my VMAX

Ron

i really like bikebandit for oem parts. they got good aftermarket (KN filters) as well. check 'em out. u can also get a gift card for 10% off and then buy what u want. they just started a rewards program (bandit bucks or something) too

The stealership here knows the Max fairly well. It's a small dealer (the owner is the parts guy) and the owner had a few Vmaxs back in the day. I don't do a lot of business there, but I have bought a few things from him. I won't take my bike there for service mostly because I am a mechanic. Why pay someone to do something I can do myself? I don't think I would anyway because I talked to some of the "mechanics" there and.... well.... let's just say, not impressed.

I like to do most of my own work, but I'm not a accomplished mechanic by any stretch, shade tree all the way. I have the confidence to go step by step with everything I have learned from this forum. I have the manuals, local mechanic buddies that will advise and give hands on help too. Another plus ( I think? :biglaugh:) is that I have close to 7 months of winter downtime to work on projects and take my time to do them right.

I asked one of the local dealers here in Auckland about fork seals for the Vmax and his reply was " is this for the left side or the right side":wacko:

My local dealer wanted to know what the strange noise was everytime you turned the key on :confused2:

Needless to say that was the first and last time they touched it . :clapping:

NAPA for oil filters. I buy all my oil filters there, from my blown 475 horse Mustang to my mothers taurus. Can't go wrong with a NAPA filter.

Latest posts

Back