My Max quit on the freeway

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anything, I would think a problem like this would be more likely to be heat related. However, in this case it’s becoming more and more compelling that there is an intermittent electrical connection or component somewhere.

And given that intermittent nature, it’ll be a miserable bitch to nail down. A shelf full of spares comes in handy at a time like this, but lacking that you’ll need to get creative with regard to either bypassing or eliminating suspect components with the suggestions of your choice folks have offered up.

I would definitely bypass the entire clutch/kickstand ignition cut out circuit. One of the easiest things on the list to do, and potentially one of the more likely suspects.

Last edited:
Odd. I would wonder how it got there. Check the bearings to make sure they are tight. Unless it is causing a short, however, I can't see it. But....it is an odd problem you have (like you needed to hear that).

Think a screw fell out and did that? I was putting my motor back together and noticed that the pick-up coil had been clearanced by the flywheel......

Because of the magnetic field, a fastener fell onto the rotor, was held there, and was an interference-fit with the stator, when centrifugal force flung-loose that errant screw. I'm surprised that you haven't found shards of the mangled screw on the rotor, or enbedded into the stator laminations. It certainly left its mark on the stator.

Mechanic/owner (choose the least-proficient one) attempts to change-out a defective pick-up coil.

"Oops! Where did that damn screw go-to?" (searches a bit, fails to locate it, grabs another screw instead of looking on the magnetic rotor for the one he dropped) Everything is buttoned up.

Engine starts, is revved, because "that's what you do when you've 'successfully-repaired' your bike." ZIng that throttle again!

Slight noise from the interference-fit of a 4 mm screw vs. ~75 RWHP (it's not on redline, boys) which wipes-against the inadequate clearance between the stator and the rotor, when a machine screw is doing its best attempt at limbo to avoid the closely-rotating parts.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500456adf8700209bc793157/generator

Last edited:
The guy I bought my V-Max from said the kill switch was intermittent. I have not noticed that but if mine dies all of a sudden that's what I'll check.

Back