My MiniMax project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out this site on small engine blowers. Now that's what I'm talkin about :thumbs up:.
Check out the Aisin AMR300... PERFECT! On top of that 305CC Briggs. Gotta see if I can find one. Anyone got one kickin around in their garage?

SMALL BLOWERS

I think the mini chopper is gonna hurt me some day.

Check this out

ashley_blower2.jpg

unbelievable...a roots blower for a briggs :clapping:...Hey gary I bet that little $300 turbo would be fun. I would just do a rod upgrade first

I got the Robertson pipe on- had to take it to the local welder's shop to get it heated up and bent a tiny bit to fit...originally the bend wasn't quite a big enough angle. But now it fits great and has a nice sound...I got it with a RLV muffler. Don't need to be pissing off everyone in the neighborhood with straight pipes. Crappy cell phone pic at night:
479557360_1680413487_0.jpg

One thing, any idea if I should re-jet the motor now? Are various jets even available? I called Robertson's to ask and he said that usually bumping it one size up helps, and that usually a stock motor will pop/backfire when releasing the gas with a more open exhaust since it's a bit too lean. Mine didn't do that on my quick test ride (15 degrees is just too cold to ride a minibike), but I suspect the cold temps might have masked it. He said to drill it out to the next (numbered) drill size up. I don't believe I have ever seen the numbered drill sizes for sale anywhere. I can probably just take a super small drill and ream it out a bit until the popping stops, if it even does it at all.

Well, it's done. At least for now. I've been looking for a blinker kit, like something that includes the relay, handlebar switch, and 4 lights. Haven't turned up anything so far. Anybody got a lead on something like that?

I got the Robertson pipe on- had to take it to the local welder's shop to get it heated up and bent a tiny bit to fit...originally the bend wasn't quite a big enough angle. But now it fits great and has a nice sound...I got it with a RLV muffler. Don't need to be pissing off everyone in the neighborhood with straight pipes. Crappy cell phone pic at night:

One thing, any idea if I should re-jet the motor now? Are various jets even available? I called Robertson's to ask and he said that usually bumping it one size up helps, and that usually a stock motor will pop/backfire when releasing the gas with a more open exhaust since it's a bit too lean. Mine didn't do that on my quick test ride (15 degrees is just too cold to ride a minibike), but I suspect the cold temps might have masked it. He said to drill it out to the next (numbered) drill size up. I don't believe I have ever seen the numbered drill sizes for sale anywhere. I can probably just take a super small drill and ream it out a bit until the popping stops, if it even does it at all.

Well, it's done. At least for now. I've been looking for a blinker kit, like something that includes the relay, handlebar switch, and 4 lights. Haven't turned up anything so far. Anybody got a lead on something like that?

I have bought numbered drill bits before, got them at a local nut & bolt supply house. I would try Fastenal to see if they have them.

Mike

I would start by just richening it a tad off the mixture screw....If you run the RLV end it'll give you just enough back pressure...does that motor have a stator ?

Yep, it's got a stator and r/r for DC output.

Apparently these newer motors have fixed, non removeable main jets, to comply with emissions BS. I'll admit I haven't even looked at the carb that closely but I didn't notice an obvious adjustment screw. On the 6.5 clone it was hidden under a PITA to get off plastic cover. I'll have to check next time I'm home. The best tip I found for reaming out the fixed jet is to get a welder tip cleaning brush and work it through there a few times until you got the mix right since 1 numbered drill size is so incredibly small.

I'll try backing the mixture screw out a tiny bit (1/8 turn?), assuming it has one just to be safe. I ordered the pipe for fitment, not really for performance gains( though that's never a bad side effect)

I found a universal turn signal kit for $60 from Heeter's, and a generic brake light switch on eBay for $10. Once I get those on, I think this thing will more than pass for being street legal. This thing will make a great around town commuter, and I have to admit it's fun in it's own special way. Sure, the Max is a million times faster but this little minibike has a unique fun factor. I can sorta see why people like riding completely custom bikes...knowing you made the bike what it is gives it a special charm as it whisks you down the road. Considering this thing originally topped out at 12mph and couldn't make it over a molehill. Now it (surprisingly) smoothly cruises along at 45-50 all day on the road, but is surprisingly potent off road in the torque department.

I've probably got 50 hours of work into this bike between the motor swap, nodding it to make the belt drive fit, various add-ons, ect. And that's for an IMO pretty cool, but hardly spectacular redneck mini. I have a feeling for now when I see on tv shows that "350 hours" went into a custom chopper. Wow. That's one shit-ton (or 2.2 metric ass-loads) of work.

I sent them an email asking about the jet.

Why would it having a stator or not make a difference? The only thing I can come up with is that the motor always has a tiny bit more load on it, but I can't imagine that making a meaningful difference. Or does it?

I sent them an email asking about the jet.

Why would it having a stator or not make a difference? The only thing I can come up with is that the motor always has a tiny bit more load on it, but I can't imagine that making a meaningful difference. Or does it?
Stator won't make a difference. It's just cool to have 12 volts on tap for headlights and other stuff. The load from the stator is so miniscule that you wont ever notice it.

K, that's what I figured. The old 6.5 clone had a stator too, but that was an unregulated AC output, so the headlight was super dim at idle(was only like 7 volts) and it wouldn't reach full brightness until over 3000 RPM.

Supposedly this stator and R/R put out 16A, or at 13.5V a bit over 200 watts. Plenty for a 55w H3 headlight, tail light, blinkers, ect, with plenty left over to charge the battery. It's the biggest output available for the single-cylinder motors. That and the electric start were just deal-sweeteners when I found this motor for $120, new-in-box.

NR Racing says they don't deal with Briggs motors but do have many jet drill bits for $2 each in common sizes, pretty much .033 through .070. Thing is, I don't know what the original size was- I suppose I can ask Roberton's, since he seems to have experience with the 305cc motor.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. I used to have an account at that site and it was the most unfriendly forum I've ever been on. After maybe a month I just closed my account. If it's not a 1960's original restoration, they don't care and don't want to hear about it, and you'll be treated as a poser to the "true" minibikes. Just in general there were a lot of assholes, suprisingly the moderator was one of them. I did buy my 1" Comet driver off a member there who was perfectly nice, but otherwise a big thumbs-down IMO. I did ask a few questions about my Briggs 305, but the only replies I got were people telling me their modded clone had more power and their bike was faster. Thanks, I don't care. If you go back a few pages or search for "11hp warrior conversion" in the Baja/doodlebug forum, you'll find a big post with pictures detailing my build under my same username.

Sorry to hear that man. You know more about it than I do for sure. I pop in there once a month to check out mini bike pics of customs and resto's but don't go into the forums. I do my own engine work from what i've learned racing mod karts YEARS ago. I didn't know there was a bunch of jackasses on that site...:bang head: Once again sorry and I'll do what I can to help you out

Don't worry about it man, it's no big deal. Like I said, I just closed my account and forgot about it. I put a question up on the 4cycle karting.com forums, people there seem to be a lot more knowledgeable and helpful.

I called Briggs and Stratton's tech help line, and just asked the guy "What is the jet size on a 2008 INTEK Series 1450?".....long pause......."uhhh, can you repeat that sir?"......."the size of the main jet, like how big the opening is".......another long pause....."do you have the model and type numbers?" I give the guy the codes. I go on hold for about 30 seconds, and then get hung up on.

Otherwise, I'll just gently ream the jet hole out with a small drill bit until it stops popping when I let off the gas.

Latest posts

Back