My new ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snidebj

Reaction score
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG-0988.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0988.JPG
Just picked up my third Vmax the first being a 1986 and the second a 1999. This is a 2014 with 10,500 miles. Mint Mint Mint. I installed the VooDoo 2 inch lowering link and a VooDoo shorty kickstand. The only problem with the kickstand is that its getting road rash around the twisties, so I'm going to need to modify it a bit.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Enjoy and ride safe.

One note on that kickstand, I don't know if it's been improved but just about everyone had issues with that part because the "lollipop" would come off some where on road and be gone forever, or become loose constantly and eventually the threads would lose their integrity.

If you plan on keeping it make sure you address that!

How do you go about posting pictures? I tried to upload the image but looks like it did not go thru.

Thanks for the heads up on the kick stand, I will put some thread lock on the 2 allen head bolts.

Nice, congrats. I love my matt gray 2014. I went with the one inch lowering block. Going on 5 years and about 25K miles. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 29791419_10215755744549532_43055143764296464_n.jpg
    29791419_10215755744549532_43055143764296464_n.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 39
2014 Owner myself, 13K on it and just warming up. I definitely went with the more practical accessories. Saddle Bags, windscreen, highways pegs, phone mount, etc. Must say I love how comfortable my ride is.

Next upgrade will be the seat, exhaust and lastly ECU flash

Attachments

• 20200608_200942.jpg
    20200608_200942.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200610_093234.jpg
    20200610_093234.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200610_093333.jpg
    20200610_093333.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 62
Rick M, what saddle bags do you have on your bike and how did you mount them? From your picture they do not look factory but look great & it looks like they have more room than the factory saddle bags.

Rick M, what saddle bags do you have on your bike and how did you mount them? From your picture they do not look factory but look great & it looks like they have more room than the factory saddle bags.
Hey Allen, I went with VikingBags saddle bags the large size is what I have. They come with universal mounts. They are very snug against my rear fender. I put a peice of velcro in between to prevent rubbing. But I love them!! I don't have a riding partner so I mounted mine high. But the bags are highly customizable. You actually have to drill where you want them to mount. I gave up looking for factory bags. But I don't regret these they are amazing.

Hey Allen, I went with VikingBags saddle bags the large size is what I have. They come with universal mounts. They are very snug against my rear fender. I put a peice of velcro in between to prevent rubbing. But I love them!! I don't have a riding partner so I mounted mine high. But the bags are highly customizable. You actually have to drill where you want them to mount. I gave up looking for factory bags. But I don't regret these they are amazing.
Rick, I have been eyeing those bags for a while, do you feel that they are sturdy? You said you have to drill where you want them to mount but are you mounting to metal that feels strong enough? JW because if I do make the visual sacrifice to put on bags, I want to be able to put at least 15lbs in each bag. If I cant take my work tools with me for a quick service call, I will stick to two backpacks and bungee nets.
I'm sure you can tell, but I am not a huge fan of side bags but I will install them if they check enough boxes on my list. Also, how hard are they to take off/on? Hoping you may have a pic on your phone of the mounts w/o the bags on?
Thanks for posting your experiences, it really helps those of us who cant find many testimonials about products with, and modified for, the VMAX.

Rick, I have been eyeing those bags for a while, do you feel that they are sturdy? You said you have to drill where you want them to mount but are you mounting to metal that feels strong enough? JW because if I do make the visual sacrifice to put on bags, I want to be able to put at least 15lbs in each bag. If I cant take my work tools with me for a quick service call, I will stick to two backpacks and bungee nets.
I'm sure you can tell, but I am not a huge fan of side bags but I will install them if they check enough boxes on my list. Also, how hard are they to take off/on? Hoping you may have a pic on your phone of the mounts w/o the bags on?
Thanks for posting your experiences, it really helps those of us who cant find many testimonials about products with, and modified for, the VMAX.

Allen, I have some pics. These bags can easily accommodate 15lbs, they are very sturdy and made from a hardened fiberglass material. On the inside you will see the hex bolts/washer used to secure the bags to the OEM threads already on the bike. The universal brackets that come with the bags distribute the weight. They are included with a cross bar that is suppose to connect the two brackets(per bag) together but I could not use them. As mentioned you will see they rest on my fender quite a bit. But I have no issue because I don't plan on taking mine off. You will see I placed a small 3M velcro patch for rubbing. Each side can easily be removed by unscrewing the top bolts inside the bag. I understand the visual aspect of it. But not having to wear a backpack for the simplest of things and being able to make a grocery run for my wife says it all. I've also been able to stuff a soft cooler loaded with ice and drinks for hot summer days. They are key locked! another great aspect. Only thing I'm bummed about is the Matte scratched very very easily. So painted or leather would be my choice. They come in different shapes and sizes I chose the one I thought fit the bikes sculpt better. I couldnt be more happier with them though, people always seem to think they are factory the way they sit. 20200625_105133.jpg 20200625_105142.jpg 20200625_105157.jpg 20200625_105203.jpg 20200625_105217.jpg 20200625_105243.jpg 20200625_105257.jpg

I bought a very simple rack for supporting soft bags from I believe it was Marz in Germany. That may improve support.

Also, did Viking offer a quick release mount or bracket so the bags can be removed?

I bought a very simple rack for supporting soft bags from I believe it was Marz in Germany. That may improve support.

Also, did Viking offer a quick release mount or bracket so the bags can be removed?

The support is great actually. My entire bike moves if I try to jerk them, very sturdy. Plus I like how snug they are IMO. But if it thats what you would use, go for it. And no the bags just come with the universal mounting brackets and HEX bolts. I don't belive Viking offers a detachable bag. But thats also not what I was looking for.

Rick, I have a 2006 1100 and it came with a set of leather saddlebags. I have the stock exhaust and they had burnt a hole in the bottom of the right hand bag. I've been looking at these Viking bags. Does the right one sit high enough to keep that from happening?

Rick, I have a 2006 1100 and it came with a set of leather saddlebags. I have the stock exhaust and they had burnt a hole in the bottom of the right hand bag. I've been looking at these Viking bags. Does the right one sit high enough to keep that from happening?

Hey Steve, you will personally have to drill the holes where the bags mount so it will be up to you. I know first hand that the hard bags are made from some sort of fiberglass material because I had tiny glass particles in my skin and coveralls when I drilled my holes(very annoying btw). So even if they were mounted close I honestly don't believe you will have issues with heat!

Allen, I have some pics. These bags can easily accommodate 15lbs, they are very sturdy and made from a hardened fiberglass material. On the inside you will see the hex bolts/washer used to secure the bags to the OEM threads already on the bike. The universal brackets that come with the bags distribute the weight. They are included with a cross bar that is suppose to connect the two brackets(per bag) together but I could not use them. As mentioned you will see they rest on my fender quite a bit. But I have no issue because I don't plan on taking mine off. You will see I placed a small 3M velcro patch for rubbing. Each side can easily be removed by unscrewing the top bolts inside the bag. I understand the visual aspect of it. But not having to wear a backpack for the simplest of things and being able to make a grocery run for my wife says it all. I've also been able to stuff a soft cooler loaded with ice and drinks for hot summer days. They are key locked! another great aspect. Only thing I'm bummed about is the Matte scratched very very easily. So painted or leather would be my choice. They come in different shapes and sizes I chose the one I thought fit the bikes sculpt better. I couldnt be more happier with them though, people always seem to think they are factory the way they sit. View attachment 72047 View attachment 72048 View attachment 72049 View attachment 72050 View attachment 72051 View attachment 72052 View attachment 72053
Do you have any pics from the side. Bags look very nice

2014 Owner myself, 13K on it and just warming up. I definitely went with the more practical accessories. Saddle Bags, windscreen, highways pegs, phone mount, etc. Must say I love how comfortable my ride is.

Next upgrade will be the seat, exhaust and lastly ECU flash
Hey Rick; I have a 2019 .... would like to upgrade like you have. Where can I find those hi way pegs and what is the specific model of Viking bags..?

Thanks

Hey Rick; I have a 2019 .... would like to upgrade like you have. Where can I find those hi way pegs and what is the specific model of Viking bags..?

Thanks

Whats up Butch. Got the pegs from Facebook.
VMAX GEN2 HIGHWAY PEGS

And my bags were:
Viking Lamellar Large Matte Motorcycle Hard Saddlebags

Back