my new voodoo exhaust and jared

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
So i bought a new voodoo exhaust for my gen 2 vmax and after i installed it i feel that it need more packing in the muffler so i called and talked with Jared at voodoo exhaust and he said he could sell me some so i went to take the brand new bolts out of the end cap it broke the tip off my ball end allen so i tried a allen socket and a little heat and its going to strip out so i called Jared back and he told me to take a cut off tool and cut a slot into the bolt and use a srewdriver to take it out. (thats what i would do if the exaust was not new) So i said i will do this for voodoo if voodoo takes care of any damage that could happen Jared said he would replace the end cap but nothing else i said what if the muffler gets damage he said not my problem i said than i want to return it and he said no it been installed what would you guys do.

So i bought a new voodoo exhaust for my gen 2 vmax and after i installed it i feel that it need more packing in the muffler so i called and talked with Jared at voodoo exhaust and he said he could sell me some so i went to take the brand new bolts out of the end cap it broke the tip off my ball end allen so i tried a allen socket and a little heat and its going to strip out so i called Jared back and he told me to take a cut off tool and cut a slot into the bolt and use a srewdriver to take it out. (thats what i would do if the exaust was not new) So i said i will do this for voodoo if voodoo takes care of any damage that could happen Jared said he would replace the end cap but nothing else i said what if the muffler gets damage he said not my problem i said than i want to return it and he said no it been installed what would you guys do.

Not real good customer service right there. If he was OK with you taking it apart he should back up his product when you have an issue like that. Did you pay with PayPal or a credit card? You could open a dispute I guess.

Or if you are happy with the exhaust otherwise, take him up on the offer of a new end cap and do your best not to damage the can.

I can tell all the bolts are going to strip even with heat. This is a bad set up and my $550 flash is set up for voodoo. I'm thinking ss bolt alaluminum end cap lock washer and loc tite is not a good idea. Not sure what to do yet. And i don't know if Jared will give me 2 end caps. IMO to be safe i should not take Jared Advise (cut a slot for a screwdriver and maybe damage the muffler) I think i should drill them out and re-install new end caps this way less chance off damage to muffler. Or send exhaust back to voodoo for a refund and buy a different slip on 4 into 2 and hope that the tune will be good. ufo/star has the same set up for $150 more but is the end caps designed better?

I can tell all the bolts are going to strip even with heat. This is a bad set up and my $550 flash is set up for voodoo. I'm thinking ss bolt alaluminum end cap lock washer and loc tite is not a good idea. Not sure what to do yet. And i don't know if Jared will give me 2 end caps. IMO to be safe i should not take Jared Advise (cut a slot for a screwdriver and maybe damage the muffler) I think i should drill them out and re-install new end caps this way less chance off damage to muffler. Or send exhaust back to voodoo for a refund and buy a different slip on 4 into 2 and hope that the tune will be good. ufo/star has the same set up for $150 more but is the end caps designed better?

An updated flash is only $45....so I wouldn't sweat that.

So today i took a new allen socket and heated it up while it was in one of the bolts that holds the serviceable baffle in the muffler of my brand new voodoo exhaust and i got it nice and hot to soften loctite so the 3mm allen bolt would turn out and still is going to strip so i called Jared back and he still want's me to take a cut off tool and cut a slot so i can use a screwdriver but if the tool slips and does damage he wont take care of it so i said how about i send the mufflers to you and you take the allen bolts out. Jared said no that is not something i do for customer's. I still feel that a new exhaust with a serviceable baffle should on bolt with out so much trouble so i guess voodoo is not going to help me at all so i'm not happy with the customer service that voodoo offer's.

At this point my only choice is to send the exhaust back to amazon as a defect and hope that i get my money back so i can buy something else on top of that it will cost me $45 to get my ecu reflashed and about $40 in shipping fee's to send the ecu back to Tim nash. however Tim felt bad for me and said if i buy his hindle system he would take care of the reflash free of charge. Tim has done a great job for me so far and i have heard nothing but good about the man.

The thing that suck's most is my bike will be down until all this gets taken care of and who knows how long that will take. I can't put oem exhaust back on because the ecu is flashed for voodoo exhaust. I only got to put 30 miles on it so far.

Update amazon did give my money back to me. Its to bad that Jared did not care enough. Who knows maybe it was just my exhaust that had problems. But if that's the best doodoo can do for a customer i would not give them your money. If amazon had not taken care of me i would have out the money. Jared made that clear to me.

Were you able to still hang on to the exhaust after reimbursement? If you were, I would suggest carefully drilling the bolt. Rethreading and using a new bolt.

I just went through this exact issue with my new Voodoo exhaust. I striped four of the six bolts and had to, as recommended to you, take a Dremel to cut a line into the head of the bolt to remove with a screwdriver. I did this three times without damaging the can or end caps. On the fourth I had to drill and bang in a torque socket to get the bolt out. I was nervous about doing it as you were as this is on my 2019 Vmax with 600 miles on it! A little patience and having a no rush attitude goes a long way for these type of situations haha!

I replaced the bolts with ss barrel head allen bolts that take a #4 allen which seat deeper into the head than the original crap bolts. So less chance of doing it again if I decide later to repack again. I repacked with a ceramic material, packed it tighter than what came, and as a result got a deeper and slightly quieter sound. Key word "slightly". With the Nash reflash, modified air box, and the voodoo it's a different bike for the better! Best of luck with your project!

Last edited:
I did return the exhaust for a refund I'm happy for you that you got your screws out and change the bigger ones like Voodoo should have but I was not going to take that risk unless I had to thanks to Amazon returning my money I did not have to do that I am now buying delkevic exhaust system hopefully this will go smoother it's too bad that voodoo did not put a little better quality into the exhaust like ceramic powder coat and the 4 millimeter screws just those two things would go a long ways if anyone plans on ordering from Voodoo because they like them so much I would ask them to ship you the exhaust disassembled send it to a ceramic powder coater and by the six screws that are 4 millimeter in size and some good packing assemble the exhaust yourself and I think you would be happy with it or maybe Jared has read and maybe he could do the improvements to the exhaust himself.

I generally do not respond to posts like this, but this time I will not have my name dragged through the mud. This customer called for advise on how to remedy his issue. I gave him my opinion. He did not like it and was very rude. In fact, he was very rude on multiple phone calls. No customer should expect any sort of help from a business when they treat their employee's in this manner.

-Jarrod

I generally do not respond to posts like this, but this time I will not have my name dragged through the mud. This customer called for advise on how to remedy his issue. I gave him my opinion. He did not like it and was very rude. In fact, he was very rude on multiple phone calls. No customer should expect any sort of help from a business when they treat their employee's in this manner.

-Jarrod

I agree 100%, rudeness is never acceptable and almost always works against you when trying to resolve an issue.

It does however sound like there may be a fundamental design problem with your exhaust that needs to be addressed. If not you should explain.

We never want to see our customers have an issue when servicing or customizing our exhaust to fit their needs. Between the Vmax system and our Voodoo Sidewinder that uses the same endcap and hardware, we have only had hand full of issues. With several hundred of these systems have been purchased by our customers, it does not show a need to change the design.

Do you think that the few number of complains may be because few people remove their end caps? Being old, a monotool with a supply of cut off disks is part of my must have tool kit. As is a Hamer driver. Years ago getting out Phillips head case screws was a nightmare and I cut slots to get them out many times

But times have changed and now a days we expect that if you use the correct tool for the hex head, one should be able to remove that screw. We all know the strength of red loctite. And many know that if you clean with acatone first that strength is enhanced. But using a screw/thread locker combination that can’t be removed with the correct size Allen wrench is not, in my option, a customer service problem. It seems from comments, that this could be corrected by going to a screw that takes a larger Allen wrench or simply changing the thread locker you use.

At any rate this exchange has made it easier to decide what “full system” I will buy real soon now

Maybe the option to ship without the end caps installed can be an added option? It’s hard to argue with the price point of these systems, I will probably be purchasing one myself next year. I already know that when I do, I will be packing the new muffler with a different material before it ever gets installed. Why can’t different sound profiles be an option upon purchase as well? I would pay a pretty penny or two to not have to do the work myself so it can be installed immediately. Just throwing that out there.

And just as an added note, the stock exhaust looks like a toddler taped two 2 liter bottles together. Reminds me of some custom mods I would do to my bicycle as a young’n.

WELL there you go... if you want more sound you could just tape a card to the swing arm so the card get hit by the spokes!

Back