My pilot jet cleaning tool. Picture.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
I am not saying this is right tool or best tool. This is a tool which I use, right or wrong. This is end of sewing needle, sharpened with drimel.
103_8430.JPG

I use the same tool, a fine sewing needle with the end sharpened using a sanding cylinder.

Once the needle had been poked through both ends of the hole in the pilot jet, I use a strand of copper wire taken from a mains cable that has been crimped with a pair of cutters to act as a file; copper selected because its softer than brass so shouldn't enlarge the hole.

What is the right way? after cleaning about 100 carbs(about 40 dead bikes), maybe it is time to get smarter and at least learn right way.

I know motion pro has a carb cleaning kit but some on here don't like anything that can scratch soft brass... some use a sonic washer I use steel leader from my shark fishing kit

I know motion pro has a carb cleaning kit but some on here don't like anything that can scratch soft brass... some use a sonic washer I use steel leader from my shark fishing kit
Last time I soaked the parts in Berryman 0996-ARM B-9 Chem Dip Parts Cleaner . Did okay but you think I should put this in my sonic Cleaner or is there another solution better? Thanks

Last time I soaked the parts in Berryman 0996-ARM B-9 Chem Dip Parts Cleaner . Did okay but you think I should put this in my sonic Cleaner or is there another solution better? Thanks
I use fishing leader with a blunt end to keep scratches and gouges from happening ... helps with any small particles like rust particles... berrymans and sonic washer might dislodge particles maybe

I use a ultrasonic extensively to clean carburetors, but often still need to use a "poke" tool of some sort to clear the pilots. A strand from appropriately sized stranded hook-up wire usually does the trick.

Johnson Evinrude engine tuner or mercury marine power tune , both about the same product and nothing like any other carb cleaner i've ever seen or used . Let all parts soak and they'll look like brand new ! Also forced into running carbs will clean valves and pistons like new also, like magic in a can ! Found in most marinas .

I'dd be interested to hear this might be done. How do you make the vibration and transfer it to a tank?
A local machine shop.has a large ultrasonic cleaner.we put my fuel tank in. 12 hours later.pulled the tank. And inside was clean and rust free. Also paint on outside of tank.was unaffected.
Only reason it cleaned for 12 hours. Got busy and forgot about tank in the cleaner.

Back