My ported and polished heads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelyons50023

Reaction score
More like just one chamber right now but I am hoping to have the rest of them done before spring. Here are some pics of my P&P job sorry about some of their quality just the shop camera. Blended the seats, removed all casting marks and divets, unshrouded the valves, polished the comb. chamber and exhaust ports and bead blasted the intake ports and polished them right at the seat area. what do ya guys think?

Attachments

• DSCF6535.jpg
    DSCF6535.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF6537.jpg
    DSCF6537.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF6539.jpg
    DSCF6539.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF6541.jpg
    DSCF6541.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF6542.jpg
    DSCF6542.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF6543.jpg
    DSCF6543.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF6544.jpg
    DSCF6544.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF6545.jpg
    DSCF6545.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF6546.jpg
    DSCF6546.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 77
Porting and polish was always black magic to me. Smoothing things up has got help but it seems as though there are a million schools of thought on how to remove here and how to contour this to get that. I guess it all boils down to experience. You got to let us know if you made any gains when she is back together! A plus for having the skills and balls to give it a try. Patmax

Your right about the million different ways to do things but I have got a shop foreman that has been doing this stuff for 30+ years on metric and harleys. So I feel pretty confident in his ideas. I know that we have done many harley heads with great gains with just messing with the heads. Also does anybody know if the stock valve seals are viton or just regular rubber?

What tools do you use on motorcycle heads? I've done a few automotive heads before with a pneumatic die grinder and bits, and I can't imagine using these size tools on a motorcycle head. I think I wouldn't be able to see around the tool. Did you maybe use a Dremel tool and smaller bits?

The heads looks nice. If I ever have an excuse to pull the engine out, I will do mine up too. But I'm not pulling it only for that. I'll have more than one thing to do.

Just 1'' sand paper rolls, aluminum burr, and yes a dremel was used for some of the tight spots with the little burrs that they come with. Had to make a couple of tools for this also for the sctoch bright pads.

Nice job! I suggest you take a look on the internet at how Carpenter does the intakes. He has some good advice as far as the styles of porting. Sharpen that division between the valve ports with a cone roll to a dull knife edge. Like I described.... it sound's funny but if you make an adapter for a garden hose to the intake port. You can set the pressure/flow the same every time (if you put a flow meter in line). Then set the valve height's and you can actually see how your affecting the flow by the water pattern exiting the valve. Best when you have a nice even tulip of water.

Latest posts

Back