My Son Starting to Ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
A new chapter just opened in my life. My 13-year-old son turns 14 this month. He's been riding a quad and 125 dirt bike for a while. Today we started on the street with this 50cc "scooter." It's a Derbi with an Aprillia engine.
Very little traffic where we live, so we took the bikes out for a few minutes. He handled it very well. I watched him pay attention to what's around him and road conditions (sand, potholes, etc.). There is so much to teach him from my experiences.

Some of you have done this already. You know the critical nature of starting him off the right way, and the concern for his safety, because of the other idiots on the road. It's a sobering thought. But at the same time, riding with your son... What an amazing event.

Awesome!

But beware - there are many around here that may think you should be under arrest for child endangerment for this. After all, he's not wearing all the protective gear available to modern mankind.

that's so cool! way to go man. I'm jealous. I saved the 1st bike I built just for that situation "riding with my son" only 5 more years to teach him right before we get to ride..

My son started his serious street riding on my 99 Vmax. Then when I sold it, we found a Ninja 500 for $1000. He has had that for a few years and didn't ride last year. This year he is riding both the Ninja and my 88 Vmax. He wants to ride my 14. Which I ll let him after Thunder this year.

But yes good gear is a must. We just spent around $300 on minors things. He has another $600-750 more to buy. Good boots and some leather pants and a better jaclet. But ha has a really nice helmet and a really good pair of gloves.

We have done a few short rides around 250-500 miles. I was hoping he would come to Thunder but he doesn't want to take the time off.

Congrats on a cool scoot for your son!

My 20 year old want to ride my max... Lol I had to laugh when he first asked, he hasn't rode anything but a little 50cc Yamaha, at a dew tour event.. I told him the military will send him to the basic course and the advanced, plus most units have motorcycle mentors to help out. I learned when teaching him to drive a stick, I don't have the ability not to rip his head off with the bike...

And I would want him to wear more safety gear. The military gave me some good habits, I never wore seatbelts until the made us. Now I have issues feeling naked riding without some of the gear. I have never had an issue except in the dirt, still it sucked and thank god I had a helmet on both times.. Oh and if I ride with my helmet back home in Wyoming, everyone gives me the stink eye, sesame with seat belts - oh well..:confused2:

Please put some more gear on your kid...

Yeah, I knew this would come up when I posted it. This is not the norm. He does have gear. We just got back from dirt riding (note the grass-stained jeans). It was hot, and we were just putting around near our Hungarian village. Risk was low. It would be much different if we took a longer, faster ride on more active roads.

I put my son on a dirt bike and let him ride it around in the yard he has no desire to ride on the street . Now my son inlaw stated at one time about riding bikes he said he would borrow a friends bike when asked by that friend to go riding (harley's ) . Last week on craigslist there was a deal on a harley I said I would finance it he said not interested . Later on while helping him work in his yard I asked him why he said wasn't interested in a harley no more and wanted a vmax . So now I'm shopping for a deal but I said before you own you better test ride mine . :punk:

My son, thinks he wants a crotchrocket.. I keep telling him if he can find a Honda Hawk, they are a 647 twin, I almost got one- friend bought it.. A great starter and keeper bike...Tons of torque and sporty.. My son has never been the best on a bicycle so.. I almost got us dirt bikes, but I am too picky for myself. Either a large KTM, or a old Yamaha IT..Both would break my wallet to also get him a starter.. Today he should be enlisting so he will have a chance to get his own soon...

Yeah, I knew this would come up when I posted it. This is not the norm. He does have gear. We just got back from dirt riding (note the grass-stained jeans). It was hot, and we were just putting around near our Hungarian village. Risk was low. It would be much different if we took a longer, faster ride on more active roads.

I got hit by a truck on our back country roads, a very NO risk zone..... just sayin you can never be too prepared.

Latest posts

Back