My Summer paintjob..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
As you may/maynot know..my new (02) carbon fiber max looked as tho it sat in desert sun for the last 10 yrs..faded..scratched.. some silly sticker on it.
anyway, I cldnt take it anymore. So I rattle canned it.
(I DO have painting experience, and I WILL do a real job-maybe this winter.But I needed somethin better than I had while summer lasted)

..and heres what I did lastnite..

The close up pics are more accurate to the actual color.. Kinda like Chevy orange I guess. Yes real paint would be shiny-er. And I would/will do side covers, but I think the can paint would wear off near footrests.
Oh.. I got rid of the silly chrome 1977 fender that was on back..new fender on the way (thx Sean)

T$

Attachments

• tank b4.jpg
    tank b4.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 67
  • mymax.jpg
    mymax.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 81
  • rside.jpg
    rside.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 80
  • lside.jpg
    lside.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 86
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
  • fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 82
  • rtank.jpg
    rtank.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 68
Looks fine from here! Does it have a clearcoat over it? Was it color sanded or anything crazy like that? I've done lots of model planes I was happy with but they had a special fuel proof paint. Nice job and good color for a Max.

Looks fine from here! Does it have a clearcoat over it? Was it color sanded or anything crazy like that? I've done lots of model planes I was happy with but they had a special fuel proof paint. Nice job and good color for a Max.

Thanks.. yea.. i wasnt gonna clear..but it turned out i had a can if that layin around too.
and not sanded..as sprayed.

t$

Looks good!
What brand of paint did you use?

I have found that good results can be obtained from rattle cans, especially if you use automobile paint, of your choice, that has been put in a can at a auto parts store (known as "spray bombs" around here).
Depending on the paint, this is usually a combination of the correct proportion of paint and thinner, minus hardener.
It doesn't cure as fast as paint-booth applied paint will, so that you have to wait a few weeks before wet-sanding and buffing out, but the results then rival commercial work.
However, all depends on how fussy you are. I.M.O. the results are fine for a daily driver, but way below standard for a show bike.
Cheers!

Looks good!
What brand of paint did you use?

Thanks,
Just what I had laying around: Rustoleum White primer..Rustoleum Orange, and Rustoleum clear coat.
Now.. had I had just a Liiiiittle more reducer on hand.. It would have been more like this color:
(4 coats klear over 4 coats HOK kandy lime Gold over a "touch" of planet green mixed with Orion silver.)-My honda shadow that I painted..

Attachments

• HPIM1091.JPG
    HPIM1091.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM1099.JPG
    HPIM1099.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM1094.JPG
    HPIM1094.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 27
Back