My V-Max Journal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Ok, I have made a few threads in the past but I figured it would be easier for me to make one continuous Journal/blog update. So here it is. :punk:

:::Warning: Wall o' Text:::

Alright.

When I was down range I was dead set on getting an American Muscle Cruiser. Dead Set. I had two different Manufacturers in mind. Victory and HD. I really wanted to get a Victory, but they are eve more expensive than HD so they where out. I went to the local dealership and walked around, looked at all the new and used bikes, a few where in my price range but.... I just never got the warm in fuzzy about any of them. I wasn't looking forward to spending a few thousand on something I didn't really feel good about.

A few months go by...
In March I bought my first bike. The mad max looking 1996 VMax 1200 monster. Everything looked amazing. The most American looking non-American bike I have seen. So with my buddy there who knows a bit about bikes gave me the thumbs up I bought it.

picture.php

picture.php

Being in the army and owning a bike you have to go through a few bike courses. "Basic Riders Course" A three day course. Just going over basics its simple. But what I need considering its my first bike, and never ridden before.

Two weeks go by and I have a close encounter with the ground. I swear I saw a silver dollar and went to pick it up and didn't want to get off my bike. Ok ok luckly it was in the grass between the road and sidewalk. No real damage was done. But still some repairs where needed. I ended up buying some new handlebars and replacing my back left tail light along with my foot shifter.

picture.php

picture.php

Anyhow time goes by, I go to the local stealership (OK in reality the guys are really nice and easy to get along with and do a good job as far as I can tell) Being my first bike and all I dont know what it really should feel like riding it around. What is the norm vs oh shit I need to get that fixed. Anyway I get to the bike shop and drop my bike off so they can put it on the dyno and give me my bikes stats. RWHP was not impressive at all. Only 94. I was not happy. I also had them check out the CO_A/F ratio because my MPG was lacking a lot too. I was getting to about 90 miles to the tank (recently mid 70s!!) and the average CO_A/F Ratio was 11.4ish So that was out of line too. I didn't really have the cash to get any tuning done right then and It was something I wanted to do myself also. The problems it turns out where two fold. A: Those sexy mad max pipes I loved so much... slip ons that kill my HP. B: Apparently the owner before the guy I bought it from decided to toss a jet kit in there with out tuning it.

I get back to the appt and start doing research. My first concern was my HP. Now 94 is more than I need. Its more than enough to kill myself that's for sure. But being a man, doing man things. Having less HP than stock did not sit right with me. After a few weeks I ordered a exhaust system from Marks. 4-2 14" pipes 2.25" wide. Sadly right before the pipes got delivered, something financial came up unexpected. It was simply a crap situation and I called mark to let him know. He was very understanding and professional. I actually didn't end up paying him till maybe 3 weeks AFTER the delivery. Lets just say I was very embarrassed and pissed at myself for this. I called him told him that I could finally pay him and he said not a problem at all, got his mypay information and payed him that night. So now I have a box full of exhaust I can finally install on my bike after sitting in my living room for 3 weeks... I wasent about to have it installed till I had it payed.

Now I wanted to install the exhaust myself, I talked to mark and he said it was really only a 4 hour job or so for someone with not much skill with bikes, which I defiantly lack the skill. My biggest concern was the fact that I live in an apartment complex and if I need to take a brake I don't have a garage to work in so my bike would be sitting in the parking lot half torn apart. My other concern was that the two people I rode with (for the short time I have had my bike) Moved so it would just be me by myself working on the bike. In the end I decided it was best to wait till I saved up some money and get it professionally installed.

So as of right now it is sitting in the shop. I just got back from looking at it the window sitting up on the dyno machine looking sexy as hell with marks pipes on. They ran it on the dyno after putting the pipes on and these guys where impressed. Smiling and half way laughing when they where talking about the sound quality of the exhaust. Now keep in mind this was the same shop who I talked to and said after working on Vmaxs for X amount of years, always found that 3rd party pipes took away from the Vmax and never added anything to it. :clapping:They haven't run any numbers because I told them along with installing the pipes to sync the carbs if they need to be and re-tune the jet kit. Hopefully they will continue to be impressed with Marks Pipes.

Sadly I wont get my bike back till the end of the week or so. Aparently when looking at the jet kit something was wrong with the needles so they are going back to stock, which is fine for me. I am sure down the road I will get Morelys Jet Kit. Now I just have to wait for it to get in, and have them re-tune it and then do a Dyno run so I can compare how the bike was when I got it, to how it runs now.

And that's my story.... Hopefully I will have more to add once I get the bike back.

:punk:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and I called mark to let him know. He was very understanding and professional. I actually didn't end up paying him till maybe 3 weeks AFTER the delivery. Lets just say I was very embarrassed and pissed at myself for this. I called him told him that I could finally pay him and he said not a problem at all, got his mypay information and payed him that night. So now I have a box full of exhaust I can finally install on my bike after sitting in my living room for 3 weeks... I wasent about to have it installed till I had it payed.

And that's my story.... Hopefully I will have more to add once I get the bike back.

I kept the part I liked . Glad you're here ! Hoo rah , Go Army .

:punk:

I did basically the same thing with using one thread while I restored my 89. It works out better for future referance...

Thank You for your Service Bro...

Good Luck making your VMax, You.... There are no limits on what you can do to it...

Dave

welcome buddy. Yeah Mark is a great guy. there are a lot of great people on this site. I just installed his exhaust and i haven't jetted carbs yet either. I am going to get morley's kit this winter as well. good luck with your new baby they are great bikes

Thanks for your service. Sucks that you dropped it, but it looks simple enough. Good luck and happy motoring with the planned mods.

Alright. An update. :D

So I go by the shop to see whats going on and they where just about to call me. My bike is finally ready. Crap part is that I have to go pick my daughter up and the shop would be closed by the time I get someone to drop me off.

Any how here is what is really important. STATS!!!! I did a dyno run after I first got it, and a dyno after everything was done (Installed Marks pipes, remove crap jet needles to replace with stock, tune).

Old RWHP: 94.4
New RWHP: 112.8

Old Torque: 62.3
New Torque: 71.7

Old HP(Non-Adjusted): 107
New HP(Non-Adjusted): 128.8

And now the really really important part.... Marks Exhaust!!!! God that thing sounds sexy. I will defiantly make a recording/take photos tomorrow. I should be getting it home tomorrow.

:D

Another very satisfied Mark's owner.... Pictures would be good, video with sound would be fantastic... Congrats on getting her back..... Soon....

Photos!!! And a video!!!

Got my bike back and love it. The damn thing sounds like a V8. That and you can feel the exhaust hit you standing 5 feet behind it. :D

The thing quite simply, is a beast!

picture.php

picture.php

www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MsWnXMbls

(Sorry for the quality, it was shot on the iphone. Sound does not do it justice)

Thank you for your service to this country my friend! And good luck with the Vmax ,,,the pipes look great but did you have to loose the center stand to mount um?

Alright so I might be sitting a bit better off than I thought after the holidays and am looking at doing some upgrades to the bike.

My mindset is performance over cosmetics for now.

Right now my main concern is my clutch sometimes slips, and this is either me not moving it far enough or a bent rod. So what I would like is a clutch that is sensitive enough where I can tap it, if that's out there?

The black Mark's pipes and cans look sweet. I think I am starting to be sold on them.
The video sounds good too! :biglaugh:

Lovely bike!

Alright, so new house. Nice garage, time to get to work!! Ok sadly I am broke lol.

So it's time for the small stuff. My first progect is striping, sanding, and painting my scoops.

I have 400 grade sandpaper to get rid of the cracking clear coat on it and 1000 for right before I paint it. I am going with powder black and powder white on the bottom part.

Id recommend buying some tal strip II aerosol paint remover. Its about $7/can. It will take that clear coat off in short order. Sanding it off will take forever. That stripper works great. Spray it on, wait about 5 minutes, spray it on again and let it work for 15 minutes or so. Grab a toothbrush and the coating comes right off. Check it over for any missed spots and do it again for good measure. It will come out ready for a light sanding and paint.

Don't forget to douche the part well after its stripped. Also a good idea to clean it off with denatured alcohol or similar. You should be doing this prior to paint regardless which prep process you use.

Its done!!

Sadly I did not take step by step photos of the process. Anyhow I couldent find the Tal Strip II but I did go with a basic stripper and it worked after using it about three times. I guess the guy who owned it before me used a sealant on it and was heavy handed with it. After getting all the crap off we painted sanded it down and painted it. Really a simple process just took forever to clean up.

Here is a before photo but it really does not do it justice on how crummy it was, and two photos showing it done.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is defiantly a temporary paint job. I am hoping to get the bike completely painted in a few months time. Really depends on $$$ because I do want to get quality paint for it. I am thinking Powder black/Candy white one or two stripes. Still figuring it out.

Just ordered my bar-end mirrors so I can't wait for them too get here.

After doing research and looking at budget upgrades I think my next trick will be a powder coating in the near future. I still need to figure out a way to take care of the engine too but that's a bit much.

Been a while sense I have updated this.

Currently my bike is in parts waiting for my transmission which is actually due to get to me way ahead of schedual.

I just receved my seat from morely with the custom stich "Handler" on it. Hindsight being 20/20 I expect lots of comments about my seat "handling" my ass. I also received my new D3 grips, black with white inserts. Now that I have them I do wonder how long the white will stay clean.

Once the transmission gets put back in the whole bike will be getting a paint job, black with a single white racing stripe, off center. Now I have been thinking today of stenceling in some lettering into that racing strip.

One thing I have to get use to is how much more flashy this bike will be compared to a near blacked out bike... then again. Its a vmax, it doesnt exactly blend in lol

Alright, It has been long in the works that I want to paint my bike.

The general theme has been that I want a black paint job, but I don't want the bike completely blacked out. I started the paint job today. I just finished painting all the covers and such black. I did two coats. I am not 100% sure how I feel about it, I will see how it is in the morning.

For now, photos!

Stripped down and ready for the parts to get painted.
314183_10151230731402628_1665252136_n.jpg

Parts scrubbed up and ready to go.
578354_10151230731692628_1415872344_n.jpg

After two coats of flat black. Not 100% happy with how I did the prep work. The real test will be in the morning and see how it looks then.
269024_10151230732532628_1944230149_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back