My VMax won't run after sitting for 6 months. FIXED

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82ndCowboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the Max on a battery tender for 6 months. It ran fine when I parked it.
Now it won't fire up at all.
Cranks with good strong spinning. Sounds normal as far as compression. Getting spark to all 4 plugs.
The smell of gas gets stronger the longer I try to start it. Makes no difference when choking all the way.
It runs great if I spray either in the air box, but then dies when I stop spraying either.
The fuel pump goes through it's priming 3 times longer than normal and does it every time I turn the key on and often stays clicking while trying to start it. And there are no gas leaks anywhere.
The pea shooter seems to be a fix for idling problems. I can't even get it to idle or try to fire up. It just keeps cranking and nothing.
I turned the fuel mixture screws out a full turn and it made no difference. Thinking carbs gummed up.
Opened the fuel bowl drain screws and fuel comes out all 4.
I use BG44K fuel cleaner in my fuel tank when the bike is going to be parked for awhile. And I run it for 15-20 minutes after treating the fuel. So I've never had carb problems before now.
What are the first things I should trouble shoot?
Thanks for your input guys. Having a really bad year and getting Really effin depressed over this.

OK here it is 6 am and it's been driving me fricken crazy all damn night.
I finally found the problem.
Here's My mistake.
I assumed because the smell of gas kept getting stronger, that it meant it was flooding out. Therefore it was getting gas. But It was not. The fuel filter is bone dry. And even after taking the line off the inlet side of the filter, the pump is clicking away and no fuel is coming from the pump.
So I guess I need a new fuel pump.
This year has been a never ending procession of shit crapping out on me. I'm so fucking over it.
Gonna give up and park my camper down by the river and become a meth addict.

Glad you found the issue, between the Max and Venture and other old crap I'm often chasing some broken shit but the lack of payments that must be made on this equipment serves as a decent consolation prize. If you park the van down by the river to become a meth addict then make sure and bring the hammer along. Start with a good Indica and work your way up to meth, if you do it right you might not even need the van, just the river and maybe the hammer, and a taste for the homeless gals, yup! haha.

Glad your back mobile again.

Hey, every day above the grass is better than below-it. Glad that your persistence paid-off. Not-sure how the ball pein hammer fixed it, I know about having a dead commutator spot on a starter motor, and hammering the case to get the armature to move-past it, but amyhow, it's working now. I might tear it down to see what's going on and maybe pick-up a spare to swap out if it finally does die.

I miss the Bike Week days at Boxenstopp's, where we would shoot the bull, look-over each other's rides, and entertain the Harley bikers at the bar down the street, running the bikes.

I was gonna try that hammer trick on the cross threaded nut that hangs on my back seat but they told me I would go to jail,so I hid all the hammers. Now how am I gonna work on fords and harleys??:eek:;):):):)

Latest posts

Back