My WOLO-Stebel copy-air horn installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I already had rough-installed it before going to Daytona '13, but took the time to do it better today. Here are some pics.

• First shot is original 'proof-of-concept' fit on the left side engine V, but this blocked the thumbscrew for the carb idle adjustment. Switched it to the right, no mods needed to the bracket, it's "bi-!"
  • I ran some jumpers from the stock horn wires back to the underseat area, I think I had 14 ga wire on-hand, you don't need it that-heavy.
  • because I have Gannon's excellent COP's, I have extra room where my coils on-top of the battery used-to sit. I installed the relay onto one of the screws for them, the left front screw. This allowed me to use the heavy-gauge 30 amp sealed fuse in the Stebel horn wire kit I bought yesterday at Competition Cycle Center, Dania Beach FL 33004 for <$9.
  • I ran the Stebel leads to the airhorn which I mounted on the right side of the engine between the V. I made a bracket out of some 1-3/4" aluminum angle I had lying-around. It looked pretty-ugly in its natural color, so I spray-painted it the same color as my bike. Better, but still way-overkill for what it had to do. So, I used my drillpress & some hole saws to Swiss-cheese the bracket. Very steampunk, now, I think!:biglaugh:. Then I repainted it black.
  • I used fully-insulated M/F spade terminals instead of the ones that came in the Stebel wire kit. Better protection against accidental grounding.
  • be-sure to turn-up the volume when you play the video. If you hear me breathing heavily, it's because
1) my VBoost works perfectly, and I'm excited about it
2) I have a cold, sorry
:rofl_200:

So, that's it for my WOLO Bad Boy which is available at HFT or Pep Boys. Using the relay made a big difference! My l'il buddy was very impressed by the dB output!
"meep-meep!"
images

Attachments

• Hlight.9 horn.JPG
    Hlight.9 horn.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 110
  • WOLO wire-ground.JPG
    WOLO wire-ground.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 104
  • WOLO bracket-close.JPG
    WOLO bracket-close.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 100
  • WOLO bracket-far.JPG
    WOLO bracket-far.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 107
  • WOLO wire-relay.JPG
    WOLO wire-relay.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 96
The holes in your mounting bracket are a big plus. Kudos, for a job well done. It really blends nicely.

I always had the idea to lighten the appearance of the bracket, and was pleasantly-surprised at how-well it turned-out compared to no-holes. I drilled them in both the vertical and the horizontal legs of the angle-iron. If you wanted-to, you could get really-creative and make some-sort of a design but i just wanted to be able to get it done, and move-on to my next project. I have some muffler cans I want to adapt to my UFO 4/1 so I can have different "looks." I already have a fabricated mounting flange for one of the cans, I just need to find the time to take the bike to the muffler shop to get them to make my connection from the flange to the UFO collector pipe. Then I have another can which has its own issues to solve, but will also require a flange & short connector tube, but the inlet of the canister is exactly the right diameter to accept the tube, a 'plus.' Then I have a chrome Kerker 4/1 I need to fab a can-to which is going to be more problematic, as I don't have a cut centerstand tang. When you have a UFO 4/1, you don't need an airhorn!:rofl_200:

Back