mystery motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
last week i went down to louisville and bought a parts bike. its an 03. i took the pan off to get a look at the oil supply pieces and found this. any ideas?

Attachments

• AF4C59FE-9F42-468B-AF8E-EDFE91244C5C.jpeg
    AF4C59FE-9F42-468B-AF8E-EDFE91244C5C.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 67
I keep interesting parts I've found which have failed, paperweights, conversation-starters, warnings of deferred maintenance, botched repairs, ignorance of noises-heard, etc. That's a good one!

Please provide background on the parts bike. A craigslist find? What was the history volunteered by the seller? "Ran when parked?" :oops: What are your plans for the powerplant from this point? Split the cases to investigate where the shrapnel migrated-to? Part-out? Like the National Enquirer used to-say, "inquiring minds want to-know!"

it was a typical marketplace find. seller said it needed a fuel pump and he had a new one. while he was waiting for the pump to show up a local youth tried to steal it. In the process of trying to hotwire it he burned up the harness and left it in a ditch. It has been sitting a year since. I gave him $500 for it. It has a second gen. hindle high pipe,two new shinko tourmaster tires,fuel pump in a bag, carbs look like stage one dynojet jetting, k&n filter and a new starter.

I bought another '85 a bit ago that someone butchered the carb's on. It needs tires and the seat is torn. it has a Kerker on it that has rusted through in spots and kreemed fuel tank along with some other age related mayhem.

I'm going to swap the wheels and tires, forks, seat, motor and carbs, gauges, tin and fenders onto the '85 and donate the leftovers to worthy causes.

i traded a gs1100 that i had $1000 into for the '85 and $1000. so i basicly have $500 invested into it.

Oh yeah, said the Kool Aid pitcher.
Kool Aid Man.png

"That's what I'm talkin'-about!"

I like the back-stories. How did the prior owner get to the point of selling the scruffy, inoperable bike? What happened to the bike to cause it such an ignoble end? Fortunately, the bike and another will be able to make one bike whole-again, and that will make someone happy. I assume you're gonna sell it after the Lazarus-resurrection?

i think im going to keep this one around as a spare. there always seems to be someone here on vacation or leave and they don't have a bike to ride. i might have enough good leftovers for a complete bike. i can only sell/buy 10 bikes a year in ohio so i will probably keep what i might need and give the rest away.

here is the '03 sitting at the sellers. it came with a free cover that apparently was the marking spot for every cat in the park.E557C7D6-4052-4C6E-B43E-FFA9852FAC62.pngE557C7D6-4052-4C6E-B43E-FFA9852FAC62.png

Oh yeah, said the Kool Aid pitcher.
View attachment 73668

"That's what I'm talkin'-about!"

I like the back-stories. How did the prior owner get to the point of selling the scruffy, inoperable bike? What happened to the bike to cause it such an ignoble end? Fortunately, the bike and another will be able to make one bike whole-again, and that will make someone happy. I assume you're gonna sell it after the Lazarus-resurrection?

Just for you!

Attachments

• IMG_20160712_160810963.jpg
    IMG_20160712_160810963.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 26
yeah thats what it is. can't use the rotor anyway no big loss.

has anybody put together an oem gasket/seal list with part numbers. my local parts girl has sadly moved on and taken all of the important things with her.

motor gaskets, orings and seals. i did it last night. girl at yamaha had a cheat sheet with parts listed alphabetically with part numbers and quantity needed as well as groups. like what would be needed for a particular job.

Pretty-easy to cut & paste from the dealer online parts-fiche pages, or just copy from dumping the items into your shopping-cart. Some places list how-many you need, some don't.

yup thats exactly what i did. there's alot of seals gaskets and o-rings between the headlight and tailligh.

Back