Mystery of the Missing Horsepower on a Dyno????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I couldn't decide where to put this so I chose a General Forum. It involves my clutch, a dyno run and the mystery of about 20 missing Horse Power...

It warmed up a little here in Not so Sunny Florida. I took Mary and we went for a short ride tonight. About 10 minutes into it, I jumped on the Interstate... Got up into 5 and twisted the throttle. Hit 6,000 and the engine moved up to redline in a hurry. But, the bikes speed didn't even come close. The clutch is slipping. It's very obvious with the 2 of us on the bike... That Sucks. I thought it was slipping sometimes with just me on the bike but I couldn't nail it down. The clutch only has 17,000 miles on it so I can't imagine it's bad.. Is there a mod to stiffen it up to grab and hold better?

This may not be the only reason for the missing HP but it's got to contribute some.

A easy fix for a slightly slipping clutch is a Barnett pressure plate. The other options you have are to do the DD mod and/or by a PCW clutch kit. Any of these will help you with your slippage issues. I would wonder why you are having problems though. You are not running synthetic oil are you????

No energy conserving oils. Some synthetics are OK, some will cause slip.
Pull the clutch cover and take out the clutch. Bead blast or scotchbrite the plates. Inspect frictions for wear and plates. Typically the steel plates are fine after being cleaned. Frictions could be worn but doubtful with low miles but, you never know

Barnett coil spring conversion
PCW Spring
DD mod
Yamaha coils spring conversion ( I have these parts if your interested)

All will increase holding pressure.

<hijack>

Mike....how does the Yamaha coil spring conversion compare in clutch lever feel and holding pressure to the Barnett?

</hijack>

Get the Barnett HD springs and I like the OEM conversion better!

Rotilla T in the engine. I'm looking at Fixes with the assistance of CaptainKyle...
Thanx for the inputs....

<hijack>

Mike....how does the Yamaha coil spring conversion compare in clutch lever feel and holding pressure to the Barnett?

</hijack>

Depends which springs you use.
Yamaha conversion with OEM springs will have a softer lever and less holding power than Barnett. Upgrade the OEM springs in the Yamaha conversion to heavy duty ones for $20 and the lever will be stiffer and will have more holding power than the Barnett setup.

I like Barnett but for the price diffrence I was really happy with the PCW its like inbetween the double d & stock. It felt really good to me & seemed to do well with all my 7,000 rpm launces at the dragstrip. I believe I had well over 50,000 miles on that clutch when I sold the bike. It was just stock Yamaha plates with the extra one in the back & the PCW spring.

I'm open for input. I haven't done a bike ckutch since working on a Suzuki T500 Titan....:rofl_200::rofl_200: That was another century..... Damn, That was a really long time ago...

Are you and your wife larger people? I'm a big guy and my wife is average and we have NO issues with a stock clutch pack with the Barnett setup. I like the feel of coil springs over a diaphragm spring but that's me. We NEVER have slipping issues.

Another thing to helps is to bead blast stripes on your steels for more grip.

Oh and I run Rotella 5W40 Synthetic. It's the energy conserving oils you need to stay away from.

Chris

Yeah, but he made 2k miles, not 200.

Is it me or is every comment you make pointed at me and my motorcycles mileage? :confused2:

I DO have better things going in my life. I think most of us have or will be there sometime.

Chris

Is it me or is every comment you make pointed at me and my motorcycles mileage? :confused2:

I DO have better things going in my life. I think most of us have or will be there sometime.

Chris

In a case you didnt know I was kidding...

I don't think so Chris. 'Cause you don't have hardly any motorcycle mileage :rofl_200:

LOL, I couldn't resist.

Haha and what have you done, I just spit on my monitor haha :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

As far as weights and the stock clutch, My Wife and I combined weigh about 350. I'm 6'2" and she's 5'7".. That's as close as I'm getting to answering that...

Kyle wants to open things up to look and go from there. Good Idea rather than buying parts first that I may not need. Thanx for the offers though, I may still want to pick the "Stuff" up once we get into it...

And, Mileage, I've ridden about 350,000 miles scattered on 36 different bikes if I've kept track as well as I think I have...:rofl_200:

I have used the stock spring,
barnett stock coilsw/ pressure plate and
barnett heavy coil springs. The DD simply was the best for me.
Also used the PCW spring.
rick rash

Back