Mystery part attached to Air Cleaner Joint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44 magnum

Reaction score
It's a small black plastic cube looking device. It has what looks to me like a white dial built into it on the face and a very small dia tube (possibly 1/16" or a gnat's ass bigger) that punches through the Air Cleaner Joint. The other end of this item has another tube to which a small clear fuel line is attached. That line runs down the FRONT and OUTBOARD side of each carb. My guess is that it's a metering device of some sort?

I've looked in my manual, the online manual found here in the Forum, as well as a Yamaha parts finder website but was unable to find anything resembling this thing in any of these resources.

I know my 'word picture' may be a bit confusing so if no one knows what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll snap a couple pics and post up tonight. I'm still in the process of replacing the engine cover gaskets so I didn't ride to work this morning otherwise I'd do it now.

Heading to the gym. Be back soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like a "Dial-a-Jet" setup. Google "Dial-a-Jet" and see if that is it.

Sounds like a "Dial-a-Jet" setup. Google "Dial-a-Jet" and see if that is it.

Yep, you are correct! Thanks m-cman.

Anyone that knows these systems, please feel free to offer advice/opinions/set-ups on them.

I have a stock machine with Cobras.

Yep, you are correct! Thanks m-cman.

Anyone that knows these systems, please feel free to offer advice/opinions/set-ups on them.

I have a stock machine with Cobras.

Take it off and install some 147.5's in it and call it good enough! :biglaugh:

Pretty wild. Didn't even know I had them. I'm reading up on them to see if I want to keep them or not. Chris is obviously not a fan. LOL!

I just know more B.S. means more issues... You definitely need to go down on your mains from stock with the Cobra's. I have seen two Vmax's dyno with Cobra's and BOTH made only 95bhp. :confused2:

I just know more B.S. means more issues... You definitely need to go down on your mains from stock with the Cobra's. I have seen two Vmax's dyno with Cobra's and BOTH made only 95bhp. :confused2:

Oh I believe you. I've always felt like mine was a bit of a dog. I have a Kawasaki shop near me that has a dyno. After I get him all buttoned back up I may run up there, lay down the $35 and see where it's running.

I would keep the dial a jets and ebay the cobras!

I think I like these dial-a-jets. After reading what they do I think they'll help the temperature and humidity problems we see around here. I'm starting with the mixture screws leaned out a bit and the dial-a-jets one click richer than the previous owner had them. I'll make adjustments in the next few days as needed.

As far as the Cobras go, the PO dropped the bike twice during the time he owned it so one of them is pretty well dicked up. Regarding the restriction they impose, I've drilled 3/8" holes in the end plates as well as a 9/16" hole down inside. I don't know if that was enough to get me back where it should be, but it was noticably freer during accelleration. I just don't have the $$ for exhaust so I had to do what I could.

L8r all.......

Back