Mystery switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frazvmax

Reaction score
BA81F345-F428-4FA6-A337-96CA12F2C23B.jpeg 8DE5B4A9-2752-47DA-A93D-6ABC78C49E3A.jpeg Morning all, I’m just getting my new Japanese 1200 import ready for the spring and I’ve removed the sat nav / toll paying system as I don’t speak Japanese and I’ve found what appears to be a kill switch on the bars which looks like it’s never been switched off. It connects directly into the multi plug connector behind the water filler next to the air box. Wires are pink / white and pink / black, any ideas very welcome, Fraz8DE5B4A9-2752-47DA-A93D-6ABC78C49E3A.jpeg87D39B6C-BAA0-4C38-842A-EC5877990D0B.jpeg247EBB6E-D543-45ED-B10A-07F1E78D8E76.jpeg

Attachments

• C9BADBBA-AED3-46EC-9427-01CB6D454B75.jpeg
    C9BADBBA-AED3-46EC-9427-01CB6D454B75.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DA42C9FE-4AFF-4396-862E-EADB01CB4BD6.jpeg
    DA42C9FE-4AFF-4396-862E-EADB01CB4BD6.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 6
What year is the bike?

Get out your wiring diagram, see what part of the electrical system it's attached to, and you should have your answer. Since you gave its location, see below.

Often people wire-up their thermostat for the fan on water-cooled bikes to override the thermocouple, so they can turn-on the fan earlier than the thermocouple would. Does the radiator fan come-on when you turn on the key? Switch-off the switch you have there, and see if it cuts power to the fan. Is the thermocouple by the thermostat unplugged?

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/whole-electrical-diagrams.8507/

Last edited:
That is what your stock Run/Kill switch is connected to normally (the red/white and red/black). My guess is the stock switch was failing (not too uncommon) and this was the "fix".

Following up with what one2dmax (Sean) maybe a somewhat hidden, redundant kill switch for security?

KITACO make's aftermarket stuff,Chinese. Do you have a stock speedo?
Go to their website and do a product search for something/kit with that switch.

Thanks everyone, lots of ideas, nothing turns off or on with the switch that I can see. Judging by the ware on the front tyres and set up of the bike I’d say it’s been raced so could in fact be NOS or v boost overide, I’ll post any findings, thanks

What rpm does vboost come in at? should be 6000rpm at I'm sure you know. Could be a crude vboost mod.

As one2d pointed out the wiring is allegedly for the kill switch. Original one still works and disconnected the kitaco one and no difference whatsoever, still baffled. On another note the water pipe from pump to thermostat was tye wrapped in with a bit of rubber at the pump end. Fitted a new pipe and when it gets to pressure it starts to push the pipe out. Probably why the mod in the first place. Going to seal it but wondered if it’s indicative of another problem?

As one2d pointed out the wiring is allegedly for the kill switch. Original one still works and disconnected the kitaco one and no difference whatsoever, still baffled. On another note the water pipe from pump to thermostat was tye wrapped in with a bit of rubber at the pump end. Fitted a new pipe and when it gets to pressure it starts to push the pipe out. Probably why the mod in the first place. Going to seal it but wondered if it’s indicative of another problem?
Haven’t checked the vboost yet woodsy but will when I’m happy with the water pipe

All good. Switch still does nothing and water pipe sorted

It is always a good idea to include below your screen name/avatar your location and in your signature, what year bike you have (1989 VMax) and if it has another country of origin for marketing (i.e., like yours, "Japanese market bike"). You may get assistance from someone by you, or have a local source of parts.

Since you removed the aftermarket switch it's a moot-point, I included the info below to help with any other issues (wiring diagrams).

I agree with Sean, take a look at a wire diagram. For ease of legibility, it's 2-parts. This is for the 1985-1989 bikes, check at the bottom right of the second screen at the alternator/pick-up coils, which shows a five-wire connector at the connector, the 1990-2007 design only has two wires for the pick-up coils. To see the wires to the kill switch, look at the first page, top-center for the engine stop switch, with red/white and red/black for its two wires. A bit of sleuthing to-see where the OEM stop/kill switch wires from the handlebar pod goes is indicated. You said "the stock rocker switch for engine shut-off still works," but that the aftermarket switch plugs-into the factory terminals for the stock rocker switch for engine shut-off, but it does nothing? Then somewhere in the wire harness those wires must-be cut.

As Sean said, your stock Run/Kill switch is connected normally to ( red/white and red/black)

VMax USA 85-89 wiring.png VMax USA 85-89 wiring.02.png

Last edited:
Brilliant thanks, the bike is a 2002 full power imported from Japan a W prefix engine. The bike was a metallic grey with a dark grey engine enamel which I am looking for a match and struggling to get a touch up for, any suggestions or links to paint codes much appreciated

Latest posts

Back