Myth or Reality...???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteva2

Reaction score
I don't know if it is true that the European Vmax come with a different cardan than the American versions, is it a myth or a reality? So, apart from the Vboots and the exhaust, are there more differences with the American model?

I have taken the trouble to analyze the speed of my Euro 2002 exactly at 4000 RPM in fifth gear and it gives me a speed of 112 Km / h (69.5 Mph) ... Could you tell me how fast your Max America is at the same speed? revolutions and same change ?? It is to check if the euro cardan is really different from the American cardan.

Sorry for my English!!!

Thanks guys!!

Rather than cardan (the shaft with u/j) I think you mean final drive?
The Euro versions had a ratio of 3.30:1 (33/10T) and the US versions 3.67 (33/9T)
The trottle slides were also taller which reduced the maximum opening. A restricted Max gave around 100 BHP.
The initial batches were restricted but the UK eventually had full power but France remained limited to 100 BHP. I don't know what the situation was in other European markets.

European models also had a light switch and passing switch but did not have the running lights.

The speed difference between Euro and US are as follows:

Euro
RPM
3000 55.4 mph
4000 77.9 mph
5000 92.3 mph
6000 110.8 mph

US
RPM
3000 49.8 mph
4000 66.5 mph
5000 83.1 mph
6000 99.7 mph

Assumes OE 150/90 15 tyre with a rolling radius of 25.63"

Where 17" wheels were fitted it was not uncommon to fit the Euro final drive.

Thank you very much for your answer MaxMidnight

So there is something that doesn't fit me ... I just went out for a walk with her, and I have looked VERY CAREFULLY at the speedometer in fifth gear at 3000 RPM ... I have obtained approximately 49.8 mph

This morning at 5000 RPM I was getting roughly 69.5 mph.

My model is Euro 2002 Carbon to which I put a Vboot kit and a stock exhaust with 35 mm outlet (European model is 25 mm)

It's as if my final broadcast looks more like the American model than the European one.

But these modifications would have nothing to do with the differential relationship ... or am I wrong?

Last edited:
This morning at 5000 RPM I was getting roughly 69.5 mph.
No. Earlier post said 4000 rpm.

You may well have US final drive, sure way would be to take it apart, have a look inside to count the teeth.

Does the frame number not indicate the original market?

Unless you bought it new, who knows what changes were made by previous owner(s)?

You're right ... I meant 4000 RPM

Well, it is at least curious to me.

It is a model bought in Spain in 2002 with vin JYAVP031000002XXX

A sole proprietor ... my husband, and now I;)

I understand then, that if I have that mark, it is EURO ... right?

I don't think it is the correct way to identify the differential. American models, full power, with production from the year 2000 also have that mark in the differential ...

Last edited:
I understand then, that if I have that mark, it is EURO ... right?

I don't think it is the correct way to identify the differential. American models, full power, with production from the year 2000 also have that mark in the differential ...

I didn't know that but if the bike is pre 2000 then it is probably a Euro final drive.

The other way to establish what is in there would be to pull the drive shaft boot back and count how many times it rotates for one revolution of the wheel.

PS: It is a 'final drive' NOT a differential which is what drives two wheels.

All the bikes in the US from 96-07 came with that differential type and casting (which is from the Royal Star which used that casting location for it's speedo sending unit). The axle is even a different length (shorter) which also moved to a self locking nut instead of the castle nut.

Back