Name that sound!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Alright, so I have an odd sound. (Odd = scary bad sound)

The bike was running fine and I was doing some maintenance and after putting it back together I end up getting this odd sound.

- Changed the oil +oil filter.
- Replaced the water pump.
- Cleaned the carbs (removed the carbs, opened the bowls)
- Redid the wiring for my RPM Gauge. (see my other thread for that issue.)

That being said, the bike does start (not 100% of the time) but after it does, it dies like there is no gas or air getting to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q95DnVThxGk

UPDATE:

- Bike starts on full choke
- Starter acts up when choke is off.
- Bike shuts off during ideal.

Last edited:
Ok, After about 5 more start ups, I havn't heard this sound again. That being said, it still is dying.

Starter clutch.

Yuppers, just had it happen to me too.. Tear it down quick and hopefully you'll get lucky like I did and just need the bolts and gaskets and won't have to replace the starter clutch itself... As far as it stalling I'd look towards ignition because there should be enough fuel in the bowls for it to run longer than that, might figure out your tach issue as well...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like you have two problems. The starter clutch in not related to your running problem. Either your battery is low or you need to fix the starter clutch.

When cleaning your carbs, you may have dislodged some junk. Did you completely dismantle and clean everything, even in the jet block? There is no shortcut. Have to clean every thing in the carbs, set the float height and reassemble correctly. Years ago on my 95, I did a carb overhaul and rejet and it didn't run quite right. OK but not exactly right. Later I found a carb slide spring on the garage floor that was flattened. Must have run over it with the bike. Somehow I forgot to install in one of the carbs or it popped out while I was installing and I wasn't alert. Had to get a new spring then find which carb was missing one. Ran great after that.
doh.gif

Sounds like you have two problems. The starter clutch in not related to your running problem. Either your battery is low or you need to fix the starter clutch.

When cleaning your carbs, you may have dislodged some junk. Did you completely dismantle and clean everything, even in the jet block? There is no shortcut. Have to clean every thing in the carbs, set the float height and reassemble correctly. Years ago on my 95, I did a carb overhaul and rejet and it didn't run quite right. OK but not exactly right. Later I found a carb slide spring on the garage floor that was flattened. Must have run over it with the bike. Somehow I forgot to install in one of the carbs or it popped out while I was installing and I wasn't alert. Had to get a new spring then find which carb was missing one. Ran great after that.
doh.gif

I didn't do a full cleaning, but more of a quick once over.

...Honestly.

I think I am going to make my wife sell her purses and just do an carb for carb exchange with Morely. :punk:

I didn't do a full cleaning, but more of a quick once over.

...Honestly.

I think I am going to make my wife sell her purses and just do an carb for carb exchange with Morely. :punk:

Good luck with that... :rofl_200:

Don't rely on your wife to sell her purses. Instead, sneak them out and sell them yourself one at a time. If she misses one of them, help her search for it. When neither of you can find it, write it off to her bad memory and assure her she'll most likely run across it sometime. She'll forget about it in no time. This method can be used for shoes too.

Don't rely on your wife to sell her purses. Instead, sneak them out and sell them yourself one at a time. If she misses one of them, help her search for it. When neither of you can find it, write it off to her bad memory and assure her she'll most likely run across it sometime. She'll forget about it in no time. This method can be used for shoes too.

LOL, I need to try this!!

I suspect that a link to a thread specifically for the starter clutch inspection, removal and replacement would be useful. I have that same issue. I was thinking that maybe it might be the battery goin at first, but she cranks nice and fast.

Welp... off to search for the appropriate thread.

Blah.

So her "expensive" purses turned out to be fake. Maybe. Damn it.

Anyway. I am having a hard time accepting that this problem popped up out of nowhere right after I replaced the water pump and "cleaned" the carbs.

I took it out for a test ride and It started up with out a problem full choke. Gave it 3-5 seconds, put it down to half choke road around the block. Make it around the corner and cut the choke off. When I came up to a stop it cut off when I wasn't giving it gas. Trying to start it gain I get the starter problem. Turn the choke all the way up and start it with out issue, turn it around and get it back to the house making sure I always have some gas going to it.

Latest posts

Back