NB need Advise on 200 rear !!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breyton

Reaction score
im nb of vmax, i need advises on upgrade my rear tire. my original idea is putting a 200 tire on rear and i dont really have too much knowlege with bike.
here's question:
1> how much clearance on swing arm in order to fit a 200tire ???

2> if i need to notched and braced my swing arm, which one is better for my setup 200 rear ??? ( COO's or Morley's) ???

3> if it possible to keep my 15" rear rim or i have to have upgrade to 17" or 18"' rim ???

thanks

Breyton:bang head:

answers
1) not enough for a 200. on the stock rim 180 max
2) either company makes a fine product. shortest wait time and best price would get my money-if i had any right now lol
3) 180 max on stock rim. 190 maybe 200 on 17 or 18 inch rim with no modification to the swingarm.
i currently have a 190 on a 17 wheel and have had no problems other than the offset of the wheel i bought. i bought one of the ones off e-bay, i'm content with it for now, but when the wife reopens the bank, there's gonna be bloodshed-most likely mine.

later odieoh24

dear sir:

ur saying for me to put a 190/200 tire in the rear only thing i have to do is get a 17/18 inch rim and 200 tire, without any modification on my stock swing arm ???

thanks

Breyton

answers
2) either company makes a fine product. shortest wait time and best price would get my money-if i had any right now lol
3) 180 max on stock rim. 190 maybe 200 on 17 or 18 inch rim with no modification to the swingarm.
i currently have a 190 on a 17 wheel and have had no problems other than the offset of the wheel i bought. i bought one of the ones off e-bay, i'm content with it for now, but when the wife reopens the bank, there's gonna be bloodshed-most likely mine.

later odieoh24

dear sir:

ur saying for me to put a 190/200 tire in the rear only thing i have to do is get a 17/18 inch rim and 200 tire, without any modification on my stock swing arm ???

thanks

Breyton

Maybe... I think it will be a tight fit and you will probably have to notch the swing arm.

The larger the rim, the farther the tire goes into the swingarm where it gets narrower. I have an 18" Kosman that doesn't have a lot of offset and I had to do the washer swap to get a 170/60 tire mounted. No way a larger tire would fit without swingarm mods. On a 17" rim, the max tire size would depend on the wheel offset. I would guess anything larger than a 180/55 would be chancy. On a stock 15" rim probably a 180/55 would also be the largest sure fit. Others with different rims will probably chime in with the max size on their setup.

answers

later odieoh24

180 on a stock rim is not a good idea. It pinches it too much, causing it to be narrow in the middle, causing it to ride very unsafely. 170 is the best you can do on a stock rim and still have good control.

hey guys, wanted to apologize for typing in the wrong size! i went off memory, and with 4 bikes, i pulled the wrong receipt. i actually went and shoveled a path thru the backyard to check on the bikes. the blue 89 has a bias-ply 170 on the stock rim. the gun-metal grey 97 has a radial 190 on a modified 17x5.5" rim. sorry about the mistake

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/odieoh24/175.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/odieoh24/005-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/odieoh24/598.jpg

regards odieoh24

odieoh24, thanks both are stock swingarm on it ??? can i have more picture on the gary one with 190 on it.

thanks and merry X'max

breyton

so, guys ur saying that i will get more clearance on 18" than 17" rim with stock swing arm, so more chance to put bigger rear tire ???

I run a 18" rear with a 180/55-18

it looks to be the biggest I can fit in with no additional notching.

Latest posts

Back