Neck Bearing question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
Twice now I have raised the front wheel off the ground to check the neck bearing tightness. Loose! So I loosened up the 1 1/8'' nut on the upper triple clamp, loosened the lower clamp bolts for the fork tubes, and then I tightened the pair of crown nuts with a hammer/punch until this passed the bump test. I then tightened everything back up, and enjoyed the ride. Now for the third time I need to do this again. Question: Do I need to remove the washer that is in-between the crown nuts and tighten the lower crown nut and then use the upper as a lock nut? If I do this I see the chance of not being able to use the locking washer that goes in-between the crown nuts.

Twice now I have raised the front wheel off the ground to check the neck bearing tightness. Loose! So I loosened up the 1 1/8'' nut on the upper triple clamp, loosened the lower clamp bolts for the fork tubes, and then I tightened the pair of crown nuts with a hammer/punch until this passed the bump test. I then tightened everything back up, and enjoyed the ride. Now for the third time I need to do this again. Question: Do I need to remove the washer that is in-between the crown nuts and tighten the lower crown nut and then use the upper as a lock nut? If I do this I see the chance of not being able to use the locking washer that goes in-between the crown nuts.

Seems a little odd, this is the same way I check/adjust mine and it works fine. I wonder if your top castle nut is one notch too loose? Would that allow the nuts to back off.....just a guess?? :confused2:

Seems a little odd, this is the same way I check/adjust mine and it works fine. I wonder if your top castle nut is one notch too loose? Would that allow the nuts to back off.....just a guess?? :confused2:

not a bad idea, maybe worth it to tear it apart to make sure. could the PO have messed it up?

Latest posts

Back