Need a little help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean-uk

Reaction score
Hello Maxers,
Apologies if this is in the worng area of the site. I've put it on another part as well because I wasnt sure.
I've been on here for ages but not been active as my max is out of comission and has been for a few years. I cant seen to get the time to work on it now but have done a bit of tinkering. It's got carb problems I think as it's only running on three. I've so far replaced the battery, swapped leads around and also replaced the coils. I dont want to start farting around with taking the carbs apart but I think that might be the answer. I just wondered if there's anyone local to Gloucestershire who might want to have a go ( obviously not for nothing ) or could recomend someone near.

Thanks

Unfortunately if the bike has been standing for a while, the tiny hole in the pilot jet and probably others gets blocked.

Like you, I dreaded the thought of taking the carbs apart but it is very easy. The hardest parts and things to be aware of:
1. undoing the clamps on the carbs - be aware there are short spacers that prevent them being over tightened, if you undo the screw all the way, they will drop.
2. levering the cabs off the intake: I used a piece of wood and crow bar resting on a block of wood to lever up the carbs a little at a time on each side.
3. the undo the screws to spit the carbs into pairs: use an impact screw driver else they will round off, obviously support the carb body on a block of wood then doing this.
4. same for the screws holding the carb base and the screws holding the jet block - the latter are likely too be very corroded.
5. remove the jet block slowly and you can get away not ripping the gasket (yes I know they should be replaced but I did not have any at hand).
6. use a needle to poke at the hole in the jets, I had to file down a needle to get into the smallest holes, then I made "needle files" from aluminium and steel MIG wire by nipping it many times with a pair of cutters to clean out the holes.
7. the rubber bungs can be hard to push into place, a tiny dab of vaseline and poking the blunt end of a drill in the central hole helps to get them fully seated. Again these should be replaced if you have them to hand and the difficulties I had was probably due to them ageing.

Unfortunately I'm too far from Glos.

Let's say about 2 hours to get carbs out
1 hour per carb
2 hours to reassemble.

Double it to ensure there is plenty of time = that all can be done in a weekend.

I already made comment in his other post about his Sleeping Beauty. It would be more-efficient for an administrator to combine his two threads, as the subject is the same.

Back