Need a Vmax tech in Kansas City, KS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog1963

Reaction score
I'm new to the Vmax community. I bought a 1988 with 43000 miles back in April. It was running well but has recently started making a popping noise from under or around the air box area, especially when cold. I've sprayed carb cleaner around the carb inlet rubbers and air box to check for possible leaks but found nothing.
Two days ago I started experiencing a drop in power and the engine is running rough. Starts and idles fine but something is definitely not right.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?
I can't seem to find a bike shop here in Kansas City that wants to touch a Vmax engine.

I need help please.
Thanks, Clifford

I'm in Wichita but still probably easier to mail you parts to do testing with. Could be TCI box or even carb issues.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sean is right around 200 miles down the hwy from you. Maybe you could find a way to drop it off with him for a week or so to get it done up the right way. He ain't afraid to touch a Vmax. lol

(never forget when we first met - Sean was doing a set of carbs on a dark parking lot at Eureka Springs, wearing some sort of LED lighted headband to see with and using someone's tailgate as a work bench.)

Now that's true passion, working with a lighted headband on a tailgate. I found a place here in KC today called Hub Cycle. They will look it over and give me an assessment of whats wrong with it for $70. Unless I decide to have them work on it. Im actually thinking a trip to Wichita might be better. Sean, have you heard of Hub Cycle here in KC ?

$70 - for a diagnosis - maybe???? No way.

I'd take the $70.00, fill the truck with fuel & the Vmax and head to Wichita instead-having called Sean for an appointment first, of course...

Agreed, you can do some of the simpler fixes yourself first. Then if it doesn't work we can see what is the next step to try. I haven't heard of those folks but I haven't heard of all the shops in our area either. Not many specialize in one model (or maybe 2-3 lol).

Yea, Sometimes you got to do the work where it needs to be done and it's not always pretty. I don't mind getting my hands dirty lol.

Sean

I really appreciate the feedback and support. I will dig around and inspect all the wiring. I know the plug wires and caps are original to the bike. I think I should clean the carbs as well.

Is there a way to test the TCI box. I have a meter to read ohms and such. Also, I notice from a different post you sell these boxes and you mentioned a Dyna box?

Back