need different brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praxxl

Reaction score
I must not be using the search feature right because I didn't get many hits on "brakes".
My 86 accelerates a lot better than it stops. I know I would feel better if it had as much stopping power as GO power.
I know I have seen posts on the matter but can't seem to find them now.
My question is this. What can you recommend for a cost effective braking upgrade?
Thanks in advance.

+1 on going with the Busa brake conversion.
And if you find that to be more costly than you can affor, you can always go with the stock V-max brakes and just swap the stock pads for premium ones that grip better, as well as Stainless braided lines.

That being said, if you can do so, DO THE BUSA SWAP!

I f you want to do something quick, EBC HH pads and then stainless steel lines will make a noticeable improvement. The pads will give you a lot more grip and the lines greatly improve the feel IMO.

Going with a conversion from Sean though would be the ultimate and give you all the stopping you need.

Hayabusa brakes with SS lines in place of the stock ones are exactly what you need. The Vmax needs more than its engine braking ability!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Agree with the above. Sean will set you up properly... you will notice a big difference and investing in safety is always a SAFE investment...

If money is no object, I vote for Six pot Hyabusa brakes too but if you want good brakes more reasonable, 1998 - 2001 Yamaha R 1 brakes, stainless linesHH brake pads, late model rotors, and caliper adapters ( also available through Sean) work pretty damn good. If you want a step better feel, Yamaha FJR adjustable brake master.

Three or four years ago, the brakes on my 85 seemed so bad I thought to myself they didn't always stop this poorly. And when compared to the newer bikes in the garage, they were downright horrible. I disassembled all three calipers and replaced all pads at the same time and VIOLA! My 85 had stopping power that I never knew had disappeared. I could actually slam the front brakes hard enough to skid the front tire once again. They still don't have the kind of stopping power provided by larger discs and newer type multi-pot calipers, but they will skid the tires when necessary. And without anti-lock braking technology, I don't think I'd be able to get stopped any faster in an emergency situation than if I had the newer equipment installed. Less effort on the lever or pedal perhaps, but not stopping any quicker.

CaptainKyle used to have R1 adapters at one time. Unless he has some on hand I doubt he will have a run cut for just one customer. COO may have them available.
I don't consider myself no great biker but I could feel the difference in brake feel and ability to modulate my brakes noticeably better with braided brake lines. Very linear and controllable. Worth every penny. Sean has them or can get them for you too.

I'd do the 6-pot caliper with 298 rotors or a single busa caliper with a 320 (that's what I have, but haven't tested it yet).

I have 6 pot Busa calipers I'd let go cheap. They probably need a rebuild, but I'd personally rebuild any used caliper (piece of mind). If you want better than new I could strip them down & powder coat them (ready for rebuild) as well. There is a company in the UK that offers complete (all o-rings & fittings - even the o-rings for the caliper halves) rebuild kits. Used them on my FYZ 6 pot and rear rebuild - very satisfied...

A lot of great responses that give me plenty of options to ponder. Thanks a bunch. You guys are great.

My 07 wears standard front brakes and stops like a poleaxed pig on a free fun from the abatoir. It'll stand up the rear wheel or lock up the front with no problems if I ask it. Good feel as well (apart from some rotor warp). I fail to see how 6 pot calipers can improve on that power. Enlighten me please. :confused2:

Chris.

Even the 93--07 forks can benefit from increased stopping power. You can lock up even the crappy small brakes of the 85-92's. It's all about CONTROL of the braking power. The less effort the bike requires WITHOUT lockup the more you can use the brakes.

Ride one with our conversions and one without. HUGE difference. A true 2 finger braking power that you can modulate.

My 07 wears standard front brakes and stops like a poleaxed pig on a free fun from the abatoir. It'll stand up the rear wheel or lock up the front with no problems if I ask it. Good feel as well (apart from some rotor warp). I fail to see how 6 pot calipers can improve on that power. Enlighten me please. :confused2:

Chris.
Please see the highlight sections in particular. Sean explains it really well.

Even the 93--07 forks can benefit from increased stopping power. You can lock up even the crappy small brakes of the 85-92's. It's all about CONTROL of the braking power. The less effort the bike requires WITHOUT lockup the more you can use the brakes.

Ride one with our conversions and one without. HUGE difference. A true 2 finger braking power that you can modulate.

Chris.

Love to see that, photo or it never happened :biglaugh:

I have adapters to take r1 calipers on wave rotors with xjr1300 master cylinder. But the brakes aren't great, better but not great. The feel of the lever is slight. Little bit like a mouse click, ideas?

Back