Need Direction to How to Install Swing Arm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've looked and can't find the technique necessary to align the swing arm drive shaft with the engine U-joint, looking for information on how to make this alignment. I have the service manual and couldn't find it in there either. Thanks in advance for the help.

Can you do an advanced search for 'driveshaft'? It's in there (a discussion of how to do it), even if your driveshaft isn't 'in-there.' It's more of a trial & error process, once you think it's done, try turning the engine over by hand on the crankshaft bolt, and watch to see the splines on the final drive turn, assuming that you haven't re-mounted the wheel.

A start, using 'driveshaft' for the search:
(11) Driveshaft woes | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

In that thread, Sean Morley's advice:
When removing the rear diff that will almost always pull the shaft with it due to the friction of the seal in the diff is greater then the friction of the shaft in the u-joint. Once the rear diff is out you will want to remove the shaft from the diff and reinstall it first. Then install the diff. Before snugging the diff down all the way you need to reinstall the wheel/tire/brake assembly to hold it all squared up then you can tighten the nuts on the diff to arm.

Last edited:
Thank you Fire-medic for the information............that is what I was looking for...............I got the key piece of information that I needed to proceed with getting the differential reattached to the bike..............I thought my GL1500 Trike was bad but this "takes the cake"...............not sure how you can monitor the fitment of the driveshaft into the U-joint thru that hole in the swingarm..............seems like the gas tank blocks the view..............really appreciate the feedback.............will probably need more help in putting my bike back together...................Sean replaced a broken wrist pin in one of my pistons 5 years ago and now I'm finally putting it back together.

I thought a broken cam was unusual/rare, but a broken wristpin... .

Wrist Pin.jpg

This is what a broken wrist pin looks like that was still functioning and giving an odd ticking noise in the engine which Sean recognized as something not normal...............

Very unusual indeed! Thankfully there wasn't a lot of other damage.

I'd chalk that up to a manufacturing defect, some impurity in the metal or a flaw during manufacture setting-up a stress-fracture, which finally caused a failure. Was it there when you acquired the bike?

No, it showed up a year or two after I purchased the bike..................just started one day out of nowhere...........I thought at first it might be tappets but was unsure............hence I took it to the expert for precision diagnosis.............almost have it back together, hard on my joints at 73.............not as young as I once was..................I think the 20 step process was easier taking it out than the reverse twenty steps in putting back together again..............got my fingers crossed that it will start without alot of fanfare

Latest posts

Back